Author Topic: should have stayed home  (Read 3986 times)

Offline turtle22

• '89 & '01 kx500 '87 fxr HD '80 xr500
should have stayed home
« on: June 28, 2009, 01:17:28 PM »
so i got the kx5's rear shock fixed(replaced the spring) we go to truckee(about 100miles from my house) to ride(elevation 3500' or so)i gear up and go to start the bike, the first kick told me something was not right. i did ever trick i know(and i have a couple for my old boy) and its a no go. so we pull start it. the bike fire and runs but i can tell that the power is not there. i ride for 5 minutes or so hoping the bike will get used to the elevation(i ride higher on the same jetting all the time)but the bike just dies.pulled the plug. it was fauled(but not to bad) we tried the air mix screw(half turn in). nothing. after cleaning the plug(twice) i go in to truckee(while my friends ride) the motorcycle store is closed & auto parts place did not carry it.  so 200 miles for 5minutes. not good.
im going to put a new plug in it(any one got a good hot plug type that i should run?) but any ony got any ideas on other things to look for to provent this in the future?   thanks for the help
lets ride

Offline jfabmotorsports.com

Re: should have stayed home
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 02:02:06 PM »
  it was fauled(but not to bad) we tried the air mix screw(half turn in). nothing. 

OOOOPS "1/2 turn in" made it richer. :-o  Shame on you!
Don't just float through life, make waves!

Offline wreck-n-roll rik

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 02:40:37 PM »
No lie here but I'm still running the same plug after 2 years an NKG Iridium BR8EIX.  I just took it out today because the bike flood out after getting knocked over and laying on it's side.  I bough a cheap champion in becaue I could not get an NKG and can tell the difference - blaaaaaaaa. 
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 04:57:37 PM by wreck-n-roll rik »

Offline turtle22

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 12:38:27 PM »
  it was fauled(but not to bad) we tried the air mix screw(half turn in). nothing. 

OOOOPS "1/2 turn in" made it richer. :-o  Shame on you!
wait,i thought if u turned it in it redused the fuel going in to the cylinder. making up for the thinner air
lets ride

Offline jfabmotorsports.com

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 02:11:33 PM »
Don?t get me lying! But if it is a PWK, the screw is an AIR screw. Turning it in shuts off the air to the idle circuit thus richening it. On an FCR it is like you would think. Maybe a few of the real gurus will back me up and if I am wrong, I do have a good recipe for crow.

JFAB
Don't just float through life, make waves!

Offline DoldGuy

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 02:59:47 PM »
JFAB is correct, it is an AIR Screw, turn in richer & out leaner (more air) . Anything beyond 2 1/2 turns out you need to drop a pilot size, less than 3/4 out go up a pilot size. Most of the current 4 strokes use the FCR carb which utilizes a FUEL screw, out more fuel, in less fuel. Now let's here about that Crow Recipe? :-D
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline azracer19

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 04:47:43 AM »
I lived near sacramento ca years ago, we used to ride in truckee alot I am not sure where you are riding exactly but truckee is about 5800 ft in elevation. We rode part of the Donner pass trail where it reached as high as 10,000 ft just an idea but you might want to check your elevation.

Offline martinfan30

• 2000 KX500
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 03:22:14 PM »
Yeah, if the mixture screw is in front of the slide, it's a fuel screw. Turn in to lean idle mixture, out to richen. Typically on 2 strokes, the mixture screw is behind the slide, making it an air screw. Turn out to lean idle mix and turn in to richen mix.
2000 KX500
2005 XR650L

Neither are stock, and both are great desert bikes.

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2009, 01:46:30 AM »
Live and learn. I always ride with a new 4 pack of plugs. I have logged more than 100 miles of pushing in my lifetime I'm sure (at least it feels like it) and many many days of lost riding time due to not having the right tool or plugs handy.

Offline turtle22

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2009, 11:49:45 AM »
see this is why ALL of u should move to Sacramento and  then i would have riding buddies that know the awesomeness of the mighty KX(and could help me fix mine when i break it) LOL
lets ride