Author Topic: Gas Tank - black or natural??  (Read 2676 times)

Offline bunk

Gas Tank - black or natural??
« on: April 29, 2009, 07:52:53 AM »
Right now I have a clear/natural Clarke desert tank (3.9 gal.) and I'm looking for a stock one to switch out when im not going on long rides.  I just trying to get some opinions on which color to go with, I stuck between black or natural?  I like how the clear gives off a "race look" and I can see where my fuel level is at all times.  But the black just looks dang clean and will flow with the look of my bike a bit better.  What do you guys think?  Oh, and I have black number plates on the way, so they will be black also.  Thanks-
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 08:24:33 AM by bunk »
01' 500

Offline muleman

Re: Gas Tank - black or natural??
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 11:56:54 AM »
I just ordered a 3.9 clark and had the same problem. But ordered the black one. They say once you got black you will never go back?  :mrgreen:

Offline SMPKX500

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 04:45:15 PM »
I think black looks best. IMO
500cc Thumper Smackdown!

Offline jdcowboy

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 05:20:05 AM »
If I was to get a new one I would buy a black one as well.  I think they just look sharp.

Offline Johnniespeed

• The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of Death.
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 01:35:23 PM »
 My new 04 kx500 came with a black tank, I could not tell easily how much fuel was in it unless it was in direct sunlight. Then when refueling, I had a difficult time knowing when to stop and regularly overfilled it, making a mess.
  Then I bought what I thought was a butt ugly, nasty looking, terrible  color natural color tank.  Wow ! I now could tell how much fuel I had while riding. I also could tell when to slow down when refueling. I realized that the nasty color tank was a very user friendly tank and after a number of years have grown to look beyond the crappy color and be greatful for its ease of use.
 John
Spring is here and the Mighty 500 wants to ride.
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.

Offline demographic

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2009, 01:28:18 AM »
Natural everytime, coloured tanks are crap to see the contents of.

Its like having a fuel gauge without any wiring.

Plus, I'm just not a fan of black bikes anyway.

Offline Hick

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 11:12:10 AM »
Natural every time i agree. I was always over filling and never could see how much gas was left my tank which always left me guessing on long rides.  So i went natural and am now very happy, also the green wasn't bad cuz i could still see in and my red one on my honda is fine as well.  The black looks good and is good if you are going on short rides, but to really put the miles on anything where you can see your fuel takes the guess work out of fuel planning.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 11:13:52 AM by Hick »

Offline bunk

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009, 12:08:33 PM »
Clarke makes a clear tank in stock form.  Im thinkin that might be my best bet.
01' 500