Author Topic: Motion Pro Replacment Clutch cable TOO SHORT!  (Read 1889 times)

Offline Billua

Motion Pro Replacment Clutch cable TOO SHORT!
« on: May 01, 2009, 02:37:48 AM »
I replaced my stock cable with a new Motion Pro T2 cable. Wouldn't you know it, the cable at min adjustment will not allow the clutch to completely engage.

Last night, I removed the lcoking wheel from the perch adjuster to be able to screw the adjuster in more and now the clutch will engage a little.

My next move will be to cut off the retaining nut on the cable adjuster to screw that in a little more.

I find this completely unacceptable that this cable is a little too short.

Anyone else run into this problem?

2001 KX-500
Riding the Deserts of Nevada and Cali.

Offline DoldGuy

Re: Motion Pro Replacment Clutch cable TOO SHORT!
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 04:48:05 AM »
Billua,
It is possible that your cable is too short, but I think your clutch plates are probably in need of replacement, which will cause the problem you are having. When the plates are worn it allows the pressure plate to move further inward pushing the clutch arm even more. Keep us posted on what you find.
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline Billua

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 05:15:51 AM »
Very interesting!

I bought this bike used, had Stewart do some work to it and had not thought about checking out the clutch plates...

I appreciate the advice.

I have it now where I can run the bike, but had to remove the above mentioned nut on the adjuster.

I will tear into the clutch this summer and check it out.

Cheers!
2001 KX-500

Offline Johnniespeed

• The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of Death.
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 01:45:34 PM »
If the clutch action is correct with the Kawasaki cable and not correct with the aftermarket cable, I would tend to think the cable is the culprit. Does the aftermarket cable have the second adjuster like the stock cable ? Is the second adjuster set too long ? Both My Kawasaki cables and my parts unlimited cable have the second adjuster.
 John
Spring is here and the Mighty 500 wants to ride.
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.

Offline Billua

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 04:17:19 PM »
John, the Motion Pro does have the second adjuster... With the stock cable, the adjusters were all the way in. The cable was chowed, so probably was stretched a little bit.

I think it is time for an EBC MX clutch upgrade!

Cheers!
2001 KX-500