Author Topic: is anyone using the moose lighting coil?  (Read 4080 times)

Offline KXT500

is anyone using the moose lighting coil?
« on: March 04, 2009, 02:33:34 PM »
i do not do any night riding. i really just want a light if i get caught to far out and need to ease back in. no desert racing or any of that stuff here  :lol:

so has anyone used the moose lighting coil?  do you need anything besides the lighting coil?

thanks
chris

Offline barryadam

Re: is anyone using the moose lighting coil?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 06:45:34 AM »
I have the Electrex (sp?) coil.  I think they may have also been supplying Moose.  I could be wrong there.
It's a really small coil, and mounts to the standard stator plate with some minor mods.
Output is not enough to run at night with enough power to really ride much.  I have the Baja Designs dual sport package mounted on the 500 in order to have a license plate.
I can check my paperwork at home to see what the mfrg, model, and wattage output is if you'd like.
I HAVE used it (twice) to slowly find my way after a miscalculation on the time/distance and got caught in the dark on a mountain road.  The funny part is, I had to really rev the engine to get enough juice to see, and even in 1st gear, that was too fast for the road conditions.  So it was about 5 miles of "clutch - in" revving all the way back to the truck.  Sheesh.
"I hate heli-coils. They are like hospice for motorcycle parts."- BDI

Offline KXT500

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 03:31:23 PM »
thanks. i need mine for a legalilty then anyting else. out in the dunes you have a light to go out. all we do is hit the drags and you can do that in the moonlight. i will put a led on the tail light and about a 35 watt light on the front.

Offline Johnniespeed

• The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of Death.
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 01:16:16 PM »
I use the Moose coil with a voltage stabilizer, I light the Acerbis twin lamp/number plate. It does dim at idle and get brighter when revved. My light is always lit to warn oncoming traffic.  I do use it once in a while at night, but usually just to get back to camp. If I were serious about night riding, I would buy the big E-line system, with helmet lamps, lower fork lamps and the BIG headlamp.
 The Moose coil requires milling about 3-4 mm from the stator bracket, however it does line up with the existing holes. if I did not mill the bracket, the coil would have rubbed the flywheel.
 John
Spring is here and the Mighty 500 wants to ride.
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.

Motorrad

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 01:25:38 PM »
I have been looking at it myself. Plan on running it on a Baja Designs DS kit.   full LED signals and brake to get some amp draw away from the stator.  35W headlight.  I should be golden.

Thanks to those who posted up that the stator plate requires some milling.. That will save the time and headache of finding out on my own.

Now...

Where is the best place to buy one? Cheapest, and in stock.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 02:23:34 PM by Motorrad »

Offline Johnniespeed

• The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of Death.
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 01:35:16 PM »
My local dealer simply ordered it up, out of his catalog, possibly tucker/rocky. The coil, I think was about $60 and the voltage stabilzer was $14.
 Hope the prices havent gone up too much since then.
Spring is here and the Mighty 500 wants to ride.
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.

Offline barryadam

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 06:10:09 PM »
I use the Moose coil with a voltage stabilizer, I light the Acerbis twin lamp/number plate. It does dim at idle and get brighter when revved. My light is always lit to warn oncoming traffic.  I do use it once in a while at night, but usually just to get back to camp. If I were serious about night riding, I would buy the big E-line system, with helmet lamps, lower fork lamps and the BIG headlamp.
 The Moose coil requires milling about 3-4 mm from the stator bracket, however it does line up with the existing holes. if I did not mill the bracket, the coil would have rubbed the flywheel.
 John

John's right.  If you are serious, go with the big e-line system that includes all new flywheel/generator.
Sounds like his Moose was exactly like my Electrex L31 Coil.  Not sure what the output is, but they originally sent an L22 which was rated at 75 watts (at what rpm?), and the L31 was roughly the same as the L22.  Bottom line, not much for output.  Charge the back-up ni-cads if you go with a Baja kit and you'll be good to get on the dunes.

As John said, the Electrex lined up perfectly but I had to mill 0.150" off the top of the mounting pads on the plate to avoid interferance with the rivet heads on the back face of the flywheel.  If you carefully measure all of your componenets, you can calculate the cut needed for clearance.
FWIW, I got my Electrex from Electrosport in Oceanside, Ca (2005).
"I hate heli-coils. They are like hospice for motorcycle parts."- BDI