Author Topic: water pump gear  (Read 2461 times)

Offline slow600

water pump gear
« on: March 09, 2009, 01:53:13 PM »
anybody have a good way to remove water pump gear from crank? i was originally gonna drill/tap and thread in a bolt for the slide hammer, but none of my drill bits would even scratch the surface. i then tried to weld a bolt and slide hammer out but the bolt broke. any ideas. thanks

Offline doordie

• Global Moderator
  • Do or Die.....
Re: water pump gear
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 06:32:32 AM »
Heat up cranktab and cooling at the same time waterpumpgear with coolingspray,and it will fall-out by it self.... :wink:
Iceroad champion 2006,still 2007,even 2008 without a single race!

Offline slow600

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 07:13:31 AM »
im willing to try anything at this point, is propane torch hot enough or do i need acetolyne? any suggestion on spray to keep w/p gear cool. gear is cut off almost flush with crank now (long story).

Offline slow600

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 07:19:45 AM »
motor is still assembled fyi, guess a fried crank seal is better than new crank.

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 11:41:33 AM »
You can get "cold spray" to test electronics.  I was going to suggest starting fluid (ether) but thought that might get really exciting, heating it up then spraying highly flamable fluid on it. Any spray with a cold propellant will work. If the popane doesn't work then Mapp gas it quite a bit hotter. Cam.

Offline slow600

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 11:49:50 AM »
i bought several cans of dust off, co2 is the propellant so hopefully no big bang. also bought some welding pig snot thats supposed to protect against heat. also gonna make some sort of heat shield to better my chances. it all goes down tomorrow.