Author Topic: Shifter shaft seal replacement  (Read 1529 times)

Offline kxdel

Shifter shaft seal replacement
« on: February 21, 2009, 11:44:32 AM »
I've got a leaky shaft seal on my  '93 K5 and was wondering if anybody has any tricks for replacing it. :?  I have 1 coming from my local bike shop next week and I'm hoping
this is going to be a painless fix.  Winter has hung on here in Ohio so I'm really anxious to get this beast out for my first all day ride. :evil:  Thanks in advance for your help.  Dan (kxdel)

Offline KXcam22

Re: Shifter shaft seal replacement
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 06:19:53 PM »
KXdel,
  They are not too hard to replace.  The usual way is to remove the clutch so you can pull the shift shaft out.  Then it is easy to pop out the old seal with a srewdriver.  The quicker method I have done is to lay the bike on it's side, remove the shifter and possibly the CS sprocket guard, then pierce the face of the seal with a sharpened flat screwdriver.  You do this on a bit of an angle so that you can lever the seal out using the aluminum around the seal to lever against (gently).  It may take a few tries to get the seal all the way out.  Then the new seal is lubed up and tapped into place using a washer on the face of the seal (to protect the seal from the pipe) and a pipe over the shift shaft to tap it into place.  This is just one way, I am sure other members may have a more "refined" quick method. Hope this helps. Cam.

Offline kxdel

Re: Shifter shaft seal replacement
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 10:39:49 AM »
Cam, thanks for the input.  I actually used a valve packing removal tool (looks like a corkscrew) and it popped right out.  The beast has been sitting for atleast a month and it started on the third kick.  So I had to do a little yard turfing and make my stuffy neighbor oh so happy.  I also installed a Steahly flywheel weight while I had it on the stand, so hopefully that tames it down a little.  My first big ride of the season is supposed to be the first weekend in April as long as the weather holds up.  Winter here in Ohio just doesn't want to go away.  Thanks again for the help.  kxdel