Author Topic: Carb problems  (Read 2654 times)

Offline sevenbridgesangler

Carb problems
« on: August 03, 2010, 02:17:16 AM »
Hey all you might remember me from awhile back. I picked up an 85' 500 and it ran fine the day I bought it but, then it began to give me smoking problems and fuel coming out of the intake. Well for the most part I pretty much gave up after getting the carb rebuilt and replacing the head gasket. Well a buddy and I decided to give it a whirl and look into it a little more. We started it and of course was still smoking real bad. Were looking around and then a screw falls out. I look I say that screw looks important  :-o Then I realize it's my air screw. I put it back in and it ran much beter slowed the smoking down abit idles much better but still wouldn't move under it's own power. So we looked at the reeds and what do you know one whole chunk of the reed was missing. So I ordered some reeds put em' in and BINGO!! It worked. It still isn't running perfect. So my question is the Air screw and the other adjustment the pilot I believe what should I adjust them to at least a starting point? It looks like the bike has a Pro Circuit pipe ( It's painted over) and I am at sea level if that helps. Thanks in advance for the help and sory for the real lengthy post.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 05:06:20 AM by Danger4u2 »

Offline FPMXer

Re: Hey all
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 02:49:58 AM »
Well it is a 2 stroke so it's gonna smoke. But if the pipe is pro-circus then this is off thier website. KX500 - - - - -           
Pro Circuit 170 60 STD 3RD 1 1/2
Pull the carb apart and clear out all passages and jets. Make sure your needle clip is in the 3rd slot from the bottom. Normally the needles only have 5 slots for the clip. Your air screw that fell out turn it in all the way until it seats and then back it out 1 1/2 turns.
99' KX134 Track Bike

97' KX60 Jr's bike

89' CR500 Dune Missle

87' Mojave KSF250

My blood is green and also red!

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 02:59:00 AM »
According to my Clymer's manual your carb,  (1985) should be a
Type                           Mikuni
Size                            VM38SS
Main Jet                      360
Jetneedle/clip position  6FJ51/ 3
Needle jet                   R-2
Slide cutaway              3.0
Pilot jet                       40
Float height                 19.1mm (0.75in.)
Fuel level                     1-3mm  (0.04-0.12 IN.)

http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php?page=11

http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php?cat=9
KX 500 Rider

Offline sevenbridgesangler

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 04:02:25 AM »
Alright thanks guys. I'll take a look sometime this week when I get a chance.

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
Re: Carb problems
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 05:37:59 AM »
 This is a brief explanation on what does what in your carb:
http://www.kxriders.com/coppermine/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=1&pos=52

I apologize for not being able to put the uploads in order, you may have to scroll to find the next page but they were uploaded together.
  Tuck\o/
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline Extreem

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 06:09:56 AM »
Where did the missing chunk of reed go ?   Could it pass through the cylinder without causing damage ?

Extreem
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 12:41:25 AM by Extreem »

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 06:24:04 AM »
  Sometimes, yes... They'll get sucked in and blown out. sometimes they get stuck in the crankcase and wait to be extracted at re-build.
   Usually the carbon fiber or fiberglass will just get chewed up and spit out.   In the old days the stainless reeds may have done a bit more damage!
  Tuck\o/   
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline Erwin8r

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 07:31:15 AM »
And not trying to be a weeinie, but if you have issues like that again, and have to tear into the head, I would suggest that you may as well tear into everything else intake related (pull the carb, reeds, manifold, etc.) and check everything...