Author Topic: desert tank for kx 250 hybrid?  (Read 2973 times)

Offline mar67655

desert tank for kx 250 hybrid?
« on: December 21, 2008, 11:11:08 AM »
IM thinking of swaping in a k5 motor into my 2002 kx 250 was wondering if anybody has used a desert tank for this conversion i trail ride a desert tank if i can use one would be great thanks for the help

Offline gwcrim

• http://profiles.yahoo.com/gwcrim
Re: desert tank for kx 250 hybrid?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 01:32:43 AM »
I'd think you'll just have to modify a regular high capacity tank.  That's my plan.
~Crim~
You raise the blade
You make the change
You rearrange me 'til I'm sane

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 05:36:31 AM »
I have heard of people plastic welding the bottom of the tank to modify it to clear the top of the motor.  Perhaps you could cut the bottom of a desert tank and weld it back together. Cam.

Offline gwcrim

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 06:03:05 AM »
Can't you just use a heat gun to soften the plastic and sort of bend it to fit?  Or is an over sized tank just toooo big for that?
~Crim~
You raise the blade
You make the change

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
  • Sikorsky CH-53E the KX500 of Marine Corps aviation
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 06:28:25 AM »
You won't know until you try to fit eveything together.  You might be able to heat the tank and make it fit.  You might have to put on a stock tank.  You might be able to have an aluminum tank fabricated to fit.  You might even find that everything will go together perfectly the first time without having to modify anything.   :-)
I once heard my buddy Bill ask Danny Hamel after a race....
"How can someone who looks like a high school band tuba player go so d**n fast on a bike?!"

Offline sintax

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 08:27:31 AM »
yea, this is on my "to do" list of things to try once i get my bike fully running. From the pics i've seen this will likely be a challenge, but since i dont have a desert tank i have not been able to try it out. I'll be borrowing one from a friend eventually to check the fit.

I would love to hear about the results others have though.

Offline KXer

• Ride hard, ride fast, go home safe.
    • Race-dezert.com
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 08:57:53 AM »
I am 90% completed with my K5 swap into a 01 KX250 frame.  I used the heat gun/ BFH (big fing hammer) method.  I ended up burning a hole into the desert tank, but it is rather easy to heat up the surrounding areas to "Weld" it back together.  On my 3.1 or 3.2 IMS desert tank, you have to massage 3 places:
both sides where it hugs the head, and then right above the spark plug you have to completely manipulate that area to get it to fit.  I have to put the tank under the heat gun again to get it to completely clear the shorty plug I'm using ~ but I'm close.
Stupidity should hurt!

Offline gwcrim

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2008, 02:14:07 AM »
On a related idea........ is there a petcock that can fit the stock 250 tank that would put in a reserve? 

At least you'd have some advance notice that you need gas NOW.
~Crim~
You raise the blade
You make the change

Offline racedezertkx5

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2008, 03:50:48 AM »
dc concepts used to make one out of a composite material like carbon fiber but i dont beleive he is in buisness anymore.aluminum might be your best bet