Author Topic: 50 t bloody kicks  (Read 1731 times)

Offline kiwimonster

50 t bloody kicks
« on: September 16, 2008, 06:46:10 PM »
damm im nackered kick my k5 50 bloody times before she started. flooded the s**te out of it. backed the throttle cable off as i put the reed spacer mod in dont know if the cable was to tight so was pulling the slide up. never had this problem before. also done the kip bolt mod would that make it harder to start,?  runs sweet when she fired up. does the jetting need to be changed after those mods any help would be great.
d c scrivens

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
Re: 50 t bloody kicks
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 11:41:40 PM »
you might want to go back to stock setting. That tight cable would flood you out. The idle adjustment can do the same thing if screwed in too far. If your bike won't start after it normally does, you can always turn off the choke. After four or five good kicks, it has plenty of gas. Also, when flooded, you need to hold that beast all open. The bolt mod is supposed to make it harder to start, but I think that is just compression in the kicker. Once you are set with jetting, it will be just as easy as before. Check your routing of throttle cable. Sounds like you may have moved it. Sometimes when in a bind, it will hit the gas when you turn the bars. Make sure the cable is ok where it goes in top chamber of carb. The spacer often pushes your carb back under the frame. It will take some finess to get it in there without binding breaking or cussing.

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 03:11:52 AM »
Kiwi,
  With both mods you should not accept anything but 1 kick starts, maybe 2 when cold.  Mine did.  The kipps mod might let you feel more compression when kicking it but I never noticed much difference.  Jetting is the key. Cam.

Offline kiwimonster

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 06:38:08 AM »
cheers cam i noticed the compression i think it was flooded because when she did fire up it ran like a hairy goat for about 20 sec,s then clean out once warm  up she sounded sweet, can wait to take her for a ride, i backed off the cable up in the trottle housing it was set a max . cheers. 
d c scrivens

Offline kiwimonster

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 06:28:10 AM »
started second kick today. took it for a quick ride and am impressed with the bottom end gain. arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr bless the kx500. thanks to all for all the great advice, cheers
d c scrivens