Author Topic: bent shift fork  (Read 1576 times)

Offline Mud dog

bent shift fork
« on: February 02, 2014, 09:40:47 AM »
Bent the fork that shifts 2nd to third gear, is this norma?l.  also if I replace fork will it happen again to new fork?  anybody have any insight on this issue?

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
Re: bent shift fork
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 11:24:48 AM »
yeah it's fairly common...after years of use the tranny gears/dogs, shafts, forks all get worn, and all that extra free play, can cause it to bind....I just went through it this past year on my 500....my entire tranny had wear, so I just replaced the entire tranny. I doubt you'll have to go to that extreme, but don't be surprised if you have to replace more than just the fork. Definitely replace ALL the snap rings though!!

Make sure the dogs on 2nd and 3rd(and everything else) are within spec...or yes, you will be splittin the cases again much sooner than later.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 12:49:54 PM by Foxx4Beaver »
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline Mud dog

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 03:47:55 PM »
o.k. thanks for the heads up., anybody else have any more info on this tranny stuff? Do u polish any parts of the tranny?

Offline KXDINO

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 05:28:58 AM »
Had my k5 gears polished ,plus the shifting side of things,made it shift easier ,you don't have to heave on the lever and the notchy feeling has gone.If you got the time while apart do it .There is people that specialize in this sought of stuff as well if you got some spare cash lying around.Plus I use a shift lever of a kx250 05-08 which is a tad longer for a bit more leverage and fits my boot better.