Author Topic: more power, quiteter, more useable KX500?  (Read 2379 times)

ttoks

more power, quiteter, more useable KX500?
« on: May 05, 2008, 12:59:03 PM »
hello all, second post here after my introduction in the intro forum.

so i'm looking for more from my KX 500, as well as a few little fixes for some problems.

i'm looking into a new pipe, the stock ones been cracked a few times, but keeps cracking next to the weld seam since we don't have an oxy-acetylene set to weld it with, only a TIG set, and of course i would like some more go (who wouldn't?) the bikes ridden in a variety of terrain, from some very tight single track and hill's, to dunes and fire trails, so i was thinking a fatty pipe would be a great option, only problems is, i got no idea if anyone even makes a fatty for the 500 (FMF?)

i'm planning on doing a top end, more for piece of mind then anything, it doesn't NEED it, but i can get parts at cost price from a close friend who happens to own a kawi dealer, so it won't break the bank, also thinking of putting some after market reeds in, i would like v force 3's, but i really ve no idea if they're even made for the kx500, i haven't found anywhere that mentions them.

a quieter muffler, i would like to gain some power, but i am willing to loose a few horses in the quest for quiet, i'm a strong believer in quieter bikes means more riding area's, and i can't stand loud bikes anyway, also after a FWW, i thought stealthy would make one, but i couldn't find anything on there website, looking for around a 10-15 oz.

and lastly, the kicker is starting to get a bit dicky (a lot of play in the bushings), i was wondering if anyone here knew of either a way to fix the stocker, or an after market one that does a better job.

thanks, Scott.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 01:04:26 PM by ttoks »

ttoks

Re: more power, quiteter, more useable KX500?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 11:06:21 AM »
considering what was made out to be a vast quantity of high quality information on this site, just a little unsettling to get 66 views and no reply in two days, sure somone has tried a pipe other then the stock one, can suggest a flywheel weight, has tried another silencers and compared with the stock one for sound level, tried reeds other then stock? no one done any of these things at all, or at least can point me in the right direction to finding these out?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 11:11:06 AM by ttoks »

Offline The Flyin Hawaiian

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 11:20:26 AM »
On my future brother inlaws bike, an 02 500, we installed the following to help make it a little more rideable in the tight stuff. Steahly 14 oz fww, FMF Gnarly, optional thicker head gasket and lowered the gearing. He said it made a big differance and was easier to ride in the tight woods. I thought it was easy to ride to begin with. I cant help you out with any info about more power in the open, we only have tight woods here in New Jersey. There are threads about reed spacers and I believe the KX250 V Forces work. Someone should chime in that has more experiance with the 500s.
 I should be getting this bike soon and will be making some changes to it. P/C 296 spark arrestor, reed spacer and a suspension revalve.
A couple of 03 and 04 KXs, a few YZs, 3 PE 400s, a DR and a TS.

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 05:04:01 AM »
If your looking for low to mid range power the FMF Gnarly pipe is king. FMF makes a desert gnarly pipe that has the same tuff skin but provides more top end rev. I ran the reed block spacer and could tell just a hint more low end power. I ran the boysen power reeds and it make a big diff. in how the the engine pulled through each gear. Stealthy only makes the 14 oz fww, should help low speed stalling and provide better traction. The older style kicker starters would break, I would order a new from a 2004 model bike. There is a mod that you can do to help keep it from over rotating with wear. I need to find the picture off the site here.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline augerman

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 05:53:32 AM »
Is the silencer the stock one? Has it been repacked? that will quiet it down alot. :)

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 08:33:32 AM »
 FMF has a quiet silencer like you are talking about. "Powercore" right on it. I think its only that or a small one from Pro curcuit for after market stuff. I have Boysen Reeds in mine and have no problems. I also just put a factory pipe on it. (Got a sweet deal) The factory pipe is a little tamer and a little more quiet. Its not the real quiet type still. Just a little less, really loud and grunty, than the PC Platinum. I gave my FWW away. In my book, it has enough rotating enertia. Keep in mind there are ways to measure to know if you need to rebuild, for the same peace of mind. You'll need cash for tires and gas...... :-D

ttoks

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 11:49:15 AM »
thanks for the reply's.

yes the stock pipe has been repacked, but the previous owner left it without packing for a while because it has stress cracks in it lol, for me a great excuse for a new one, but i don't want a loud bike if i can help it.

i'm looking for more mid/top, so the desert gnarly sounds like a good idea, and then the reeds and a reed spacer should make up a little bit of the lost low end

thanks for the advice guys  :-D