Author Topic: base gasket  (Read 2344 times)

ilovemybike

base gasket
« on: April 08, 2008, 08:27:37 PM »
will it hurt my bike if i ride with my base gasket leaking????

Offline stroke.n.smoke

Re: base gasket
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 11:23:37 PM »
possibly, I rode for two years with a leaking base gasket.  I am not sure if it was leaking for the two years but the base gasket was in upside down so chances are it was.  I would fix it.  You could potentially hole a piston leaning it out.  Its a simple fix and you get to inspect the motor a little when its apart.

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 02:19:19 AM »
Speaking from experience don't ride it.  You could seal it from the outside but if you ride it as is, it will inhale dirt.  Don't forget that as the piston goes up it creates a huge vacuum right at the leak and the engine will happily inhale any dirt and dust in the vicinity (not to mention pulling in extra air - eventual lean seizure).  I had a bike that did this and I didn't notice the leak for a short while, maybe 15 minutes.  The engine was full of sand and trashed, top end and bottom end.  I suggest not riding it to save money (lots).  Cam.

ilovemybike

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 03:09:35 AM »
cam how can i seal it as is its leaking by the power valve????? will rtv do it??

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 05:28:02 AM »
cam how can i seal it as is its leaking by the power valve????? will rtv do it??

The power valves are in the front of the cylinder. Are you sure it's your base gasket? Reason I ask is that you pipe could be leaking where it joins the cylinder. Burned fuel/oil mix will run down the front of your crank case halves.

My 87 500 had a leaking base gasket and the bike ran like crap from sucking air. I realized right away that I had an issues that needed to be addressed. How does the bike run?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 05:34:12 AM by hughes »
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

ilovemybike

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 12:31:18 PM »
it surges.... so like crap its not bad when it starts then it surges its not the pipe its like behind the coolent hose from water pump to the head its gonna suck i dont want to pull the motor out  :x

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 11:36:35 PM »
The engine can stay in the frame. Just need to remove tank, shrouds,drain coolant, maybe even remove the raditors, carb etc, there's enough room in the 500 to remove the cylinder and head while the engine is the frame. Replaceing that gasket should not take more than 2hrs or less.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 07:39:46 AM »
After my episode I now coat my base gaskets, both sides, with gasket cement of some kind to ensure a long leak-free life.  It makes it harder to remove later but I feel it is worth it. Cam.

Offline don46

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 10:03:19 AM »
It sounds to me like your leak is the seal on the KIPS shaft, that would be the right area. If it is then thats more of an annoyance than a serious issue. Pull off the pipe, and the little gray cover, inside is the shaft for the KIPS system, there is a seal going into the cylinder, I've seen them leak, it can be replaced without pulling the motor. 1 word of caution, the seal is held in place with a phillips screw, use a hand impact driver or you'll strip it.
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

ilovemybike

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2008, 08:31:59 AM »
i think im gonna get another topend gasket set ill let u guys know what it was thanks for the info!!!!!!!