Author Topic: kx500 timing jetting  (Read 3521 times)

gyballs

kx500 timing jetting
« on: December 14, 2007, 08:50:28 AM »
I purchased a 94 KX500 that had a sputtering top end. I rebuilt the top end and put a Gnarly Pipe on it. rebuilt the Carb with a 165 main and set the timing at standard (lined the midle three lines up on the case mark) and now the middle to top end is sputtering. The original card main jet of 162 and the timing stator rotated 1/16" counterclockwise. I have 150psi and good gas with a clean carb. The plug seems to be running milky color. What could it be? what are the best tests to perform with a solution?

Offline alan

• Administrator
Re: kx500 timing jetting
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 10:35:50 AM »
By milky You must mean its white which means to lean! I would go up on the main till it 4 cycles, then drop back one on the main and then adjust the midrange with the needle adjustments. You want nice tan to  brown not white or black.

There are lots of jetting info on the site to just do some searches and check the howto's at the right side of th main page!
http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php?page=11

Alan :-D :-D
Sand - Dirt - Dunes = Fun
       04- 700V - 01- KX500
        08 TeryX 2012 KX450F

gyballs

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 10:44:06 AM »
I spoke incorrectly and meant to say tan.  The jet setting and carbarator seam to be to the settings you sent.  Could the lower end seals be the problem?

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 07:32:43 AM »
Check your kill button & coil connections.  It is hard to understand from your description but the sputtering may be electrical.  Case seal leaks usualy don't sputter, just run lean & seize.  What is your elevation? Cam.

stewart

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 07:46:35 AM »
ciol wire connections have don that to me before

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 10:26:01 AM »
 I read on here that retarding the timing helps to turn more r's as a cheap mod. It seemed to work for mine. (97 k5) It seemed to be alright on the bottom but stopped pulling once I got past the mid. It is a minor movement, but helped a bunch!!! I would move the timing mark back and see if it helps. What pipe are you running.
 By the way I'm running 58 Pilot, 168 Main, 3rd clip position. Of course it is all relative to your elevation, temperature, fuel mixture, humidity, engine mods... everything basically. If you are close to stock then start with stock jetting.
 Visually inspect reeds, air cleaner, float adjustment, silencer, carb interior. What have you already tried and then eliminated?

Offline BDI

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 12:07:37 PM »
If you have week spark it will cut out under load You should check all of the coils with ohm meter. the specks are all in the shop manual and it is easy to do if you have a shop manual. If you have a bad connection or broken wire you will usually find it when checking the coils because you have to unplug every thing and check it. when you have a problem like you have, you have to systematicallay check and trouble shoot every oporating system of the bike. If you do this properly you will usually diagnose the problem in no time. Otherwise you will waste a bunch of time guessing and all any one else can do for you is guess what may or may not be wrong.
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!