Author Topic: Need a little help from a 500 owner.  (Read 2068 times)

rummerd

Need a little help from a 500 owner.
« on: September 26, 2007, 04:53:09 AM »
Hello, new to the forum, but I am looking at a KX500 conversion project of a different nature.  I am repowering my 400EX with either a CR or KX 500 engine.  I know the Cr slips in without much effort, but I have always wanted a KX500 powered atv.  My EX chassis is pretty nice, all long travel, wider, going to make a sweet dune quad.  My question is the rear pivot mounting boss on the KX500 engine.  How wide is it and... how wide is the swingarm mount on the drive sprocket side?  I have a little bit that I can machine off of my swingarm on that side for proper chain alignment but if someone could tell me that info, it would be a big help.  I have plenty of CR500 engines around to get measurements off, but the KX is kind of rare around here.  Ideally, I would like to know the distance from the center of the chain to the left egde of the engine mounting boss as well.  Thanks in advance!

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
Re: Need a little help from a 500 owner.
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 05:47:37 AM »
are you sure you what to install a bike motor in a quad.

rummerd

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 06:03:10 AM »
Yes. 

Offline KX500freak

• KX500 - Have a Wheelie good weekend
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 09:42:56 AM »
do you have pics for us ,
its better understandable i guess

and the idea is nice kx500 is so powerfull  it should take off as a gokart :wink:
Dutch Team Green 91-94-01 KX500

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 02:16:17 AM »
With the mods you have made to your 400EX it might handle different than mine did.  I now own a KFX450R and right to the point the 400EX handling sucks compared to the KFX.  My EX was mostly stock.  Bolt on White Brothers R4 muffler/ header pipe, Pro Taper bars, AC pro nurf bars, removed emergency brake/installed new clutch perch, rev box, cut holes in the air box lid and slipped it into a panty hose leg to help keep out dirt and jetted it.  Now that I ride a KFX I find the 400EX to be a dangerous handling quad.  At 260 pounds with my riding gear on I'm sure my 400EX would have benefited from after market shocks, A-arm and axel modifications.  Don't get me wrong I had a blast with the EX.  I'm not one to ride other peoples bikes and did not know the night and day difference in the handling of the EX compared to the KFX.  Nothing like technology, aluminum perimeter frame, fuel injection, and reverse on a MX race quad.  Service Honda thinks they handle ok because they put the 250R motor in the EX.  Maybe it was the lack of power and my fat butt was my problem.
http://www.servicehonda.com/service.html
Keep us posted with pictures of your project,
Danger4u2
KX 500 Rider

Offline Uzi9mm

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 03:02:07 PM »
BLASPHEMY!!   :-o

but it sounds like a cool project.  Post some pics.
Fear the government that fears your gun.