Author Topic: my 1993 k5  (Read 3247 times)

Offline Froggy

my 1993 k5
« on: October 22, 2010, 11:53:42 PM »
This is my 1993 K5 I bought in June 2010. This is road approved in France under the name of "ichiban kze 500" and not Kawasaki. Is like that in yours countries? The first owner was apparently a "kawa's fan" and did some supermoto races with the K5. Then he sold it to the owner I bought the bike. But I think the first owner was not a mechanic, he did some ugly modifications. and the last owner... :oops: I think he wasn't aware how this bike is rare in France. The engine didn't work correctly, the bike slept outside...

Not on pics: radiators fixation are broken, brake pedal and rear master cylinder "homemade", ugly air filter case, footpegs, etc...

Offline Rd

Re: my 1993 k5
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 01:09:59 AM »
The bike looks good just needs a litte tlc. I love that front brake

Offline martinfan30

• 2000 KX500
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 02:47:48 AM »
Very cool!
2000 KX500
2005 XR650L

Neither are stock, and both are great desert bikes.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 06:56:51 AM »
In the USA the laws vary in every state.
I can tell you that in Oregon after 2006 you can't get one street legal unless you can get a letter from the manufacture stating that the bike will pass current EPA emission standards and it's a sure bet that you will not get that letter  :-o.
Those that got them street approved before 2006 are in the clear.
I have heard of one exception in that you are allowed to build one custom bike a year.
If this is so, then you better make sure that all the manufactures logos are removed before taking your bike to the DMV for approval.
Also, you will need a steel tank, DOT approved tires, and all the rest of the lights, horn, speedo, odo, ect.
Even then your request may get kicked up to Salem for approval.
Of course the easiest thing to do would be to get a frame and Title of one that has already been done.
There are a few of them out there, but not many.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Froggy

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 07:42:34 AM »
In France, street legal kx500 was approved until 1994. Now we can approve 2strokes bikes like Yamaha YZ 125, 250, but it's expensive (about 1500? = ~$2000) and you need to put pipe that looks like 4 strokes pipes, modify jetting specification, an naturelly, lihts, horn etc.... In fact, mine is street legal only on the paper, today if I'd get arrested by the police.... :roll: I have no turn lights,no stop light, no speedo, no rear-view mirror, no horn, the sound is too loud and 17" rims too.
I have some work to do on the bike, I'll put pics on the forum during the progress.

(ps: sorry for my English... :roll:)

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 11:28:28 AM »
It must be a popular conversion in France.
Here is one from another customer taken a few years back.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.