Author Topic: Brake Rotor  (Read 1504 times)

Offline serafin

Brake Rotor
« on: July 19, 2007, 05:14:56 PM »
Hi everyone

Here is what happened.  Took my rear wheel to a bike shop to have the tire reversed (I wanted to get a few more rides out of it before I purchased a new one) I usually do my own tire repairs myself but ran out of time.  The bike shop reversed the tire and at the same time bent the rear brake rotor when they clamped the wheel to the tire machine.  You can only see the bend when the wheel is installed on the bike just enough warp to cause the brake to drag to say the least I was pissed.  I need to buy a new rotor and my question is: the Wave Rotors that are on the market do they offer better performance than the stock style rotors?  While they definately look cool my observation is that they have less surface area than a stock style rotor.  Less surface area for the brake pads to grip on seem to me to be less effective.  All comments welcome.

Serafin

Offline Timbowe

Re: Brake Rotor
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 09:59:14 PM »
The wave styled rotor does seem to have less sweept area but I think the idea is to keep the crap from settling into the caliper. Mine is a cast model, although I cannot remember the breed and its too cold to go and have a look at the mo. But it does grip much nicer and does have a nice,sure feel about it. Check out Galfer or  Braking wave disks. I replaced the front disk, which had worn out, on the old 92 bike with a Galfer floating wave disk. Much nicer to look at and to stop with. Cant wait for the front disk to wear out on the new bike so I have an excuse to update to a wave style disk.
KX500
Weapon in the hands of the Master