Author Topic: gasket  (Read 2828 times)

Offline kawish

gasket
« on: July 08, 2007, 03:08:59 PM »
hi, today i just receive my new wiseco piston that i have ordered.
but for the gasket, i see wiseco was making steel gasket kit for the top end, moose was making paper gasket kit with a fiber head gasket........which one will be better, steel or paper??? or maybe i could just go with kawa gasket?
is there someone who have ever tried one of the two above(wiseco.moose)????

thank you

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
Re: gasket
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 11:29:36 PM »
 Fresh top end? Sweet. I used the steel, and make sure you replace wrist pin and wrist pin bearring. I got the top end gasket/piston kit from motosport, and ordered bearring and pin. Wiseco has their stuff really figured out. If you have stock piston, take a second to compare them during rebuild. You'll see a big difference.

Offline doordie

• Global Moderator
  • Do or Die.....
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 07:43:45 AM »
hi, today i just receive my new wiseco piston that i have ordered.
but for the gasket, i see wiseco was making steel gasket kit for the top end, moose was making paper gasket kit with a fiber head gasket........which one will be better, steel or paper??? or maybe i could just go with kawa gasket?
is there someone who have ever tried one of the two above(wiseco.moose)????

thank you

Mesure gap between piston and head at edge(called squishgap,and not below 1.5mm) and choose witch one nerest in thickness.I prefer the stiffer ones (think is aluminium,not steel,black colour anyway). it?s 0,5mm thick :wink:
And for headgasket use either one look at pic how a aluminum headgasket looks like. :wink:
(1mm is stock and 0,2mm/0,4mm is option)

do.or.die
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 07:48:43 AM by doordie »
Iceroad champion 2006,still 2007,even 2008 without a single race!

Offline kawish

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 10:24:17 AM »
thank you for the answer! :-)

Offline don46

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 10:28:42 AM »
The 1989 500 used the thicker fiber gasket stock, as an option the thin gasket could be used. in 1990, I think, kawi went to the thin gasket stock.
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline BDI

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 03:53:30 PM »
The fiber gaskets have a habit of blowing. They fail at the back of the head where the head stay Is. The reason they fail in that spot Is do to chassis flex. when you jump or go real fast threw big whoops the chassis flexes up and down the mount for the head stay wrenches up and down on the head the soft fiber gasket lets the head distort enough for the gasket to fail. This is why kawasaki  quit putting the fiber gasket in the kx500 as stock.

I have had this happen to me twice. The second time It happend I was pined In fifth bombing threw a long section of big whoops the head gasket blew and shot water on the hot piston crown on the intake side. The ringland busted allowing the pin that holds the top ring in place to come out. The top ring spun around and opened up into the exhaust port. The engine stopped so vilolently that It tried to push the crank out of the bottom of the cases there were cracks all around the mains. I pushed my bike roughly four miles that day before some kids with a three wheeler saw me and towed me home.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 03:55:28 PM by BDI »
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline BigGreenMachine

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2007, 03:59:43 PM »

I have had this happen to me twice. The second time It happend I was pined In fifth bombing threw a long section of big whoops the head gasket blew and shot water on the hot piston crown on the intake side. The ringland busted allowing the pin that holds the top ring in place to come out. The top ring spun around and opened up into the exhaust port. The engine stopped so vilolently that It tried to push the crank out of the bottom of the cases there were cracks all around the mains. I pushed my bike roughly four miles that day before some kids with a three wheeler saw me and towed me home.

Thats brutal. Safe to assume the motor was unsalvageable?

Offline kawish

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 01:41:30 AM »
ok i think i will go with the thin steel gasket
 :-)
thank you