Author Topic: Seat Covers  (Read 4622 times)

Sharc

Seat Covers
« on: August 04, 2003, 05:25:16 AM »
Anybody got a favorite for KX500...? Seems they're kinda hard to find. Gripper/non-gripper...? Never tried one.

Thanks

:lol: Sharc :lol:

Biggreenmonster

Seat Covers
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2003, 05:37:56 AM »
Ah!The gripper will grip your bum untill you have a blister if you are not used to it.Can be a pain to move around on the bike at first but if you climb hills and get used to the bennefit it will be a plus to have one.Me personally,I like the non gripper.I dont need the extra grip for trail riding,especially for long rides.Only my opinion!

ShanMan

Seat Covers
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2003, 07:27:57 AM »
I'm just the opposite. I LOVE the full gripper I put on my rig. It makes handling the bike in general much, much easier. At least for me it does. My biggest problem was that I had to have one custom made (by Ceet) because mike bike is an '87. You late model guys catch all the breaks!  :P

Biggreenmonster

Seat Covers
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2003, 08:43:30 AM »
ShanMan do you wear the moto pants?I usaully wear denim but thats just me and probably my old but is just tender..hehehe..I like the gripper too,just dont have one for mine yet.Had one on a 2000 cr125 and the first one i had been on when i bought it.The seam in the seat and the gripper made me feel like the first time at the beach and got the salt water rash.I should probably get one for my 500.I tend to slide back a little.Was just wondering if moto pants helped with the comfort part of it?L8tr

Rick

Seat Covers
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2003, 08:45:23 AM »
I race in the expert class in regional and National events, race in all types of events, and have tried both types of seats.  For me, I'm still with the non-gripper.  Sometimes you need a little body english to move the bike around, which is hard to do with a gripper seat.  I tried a gripper for three months, but tossed the gripper I tested, and just run non-gripper seat covers.

If you are a trail rider who sits a lot, your going to feel the pain for a while trying to get used to the gripper seat... :oops:

Rick

ShanMan

Seat Covers
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2003, 09:11:19 AM »
Quote from: Biggreenmonster
ShanMan do you wear the moto pants?

Yeah, I wear Fleshgear Stealth pants...not quite as form fitting as true moto pants, but made of ballistic nylon with full lining. I wish I could tell you and Rick that I stand for hours while I ride, but the truth is quite to the contrary. I used to roadrace years ago. because of that, I am still most comfortable manouvering the bike while sitting down...especially during braking. I am working to be more comfortable standing, and have gotten much better, but when it gets real technical or fast, I wind up sitting down. Either way, I just preferred the feel of the gripper as soon as I put it on. It allows me to clench the bike on sides and get a good "grip"...imagine that?  :lol:

Sharc

Thanks for the input
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2003, 10:03:07 AM »
I'm thinking non-gripper. My butt's sore enough, and I havent really had a problem sliding off the bike. No rain out here in sunny San Diego.
I emailed Ceet Racing to see if they'd make a green and white zebra cover for a 2002 K5. Beats basic black...I'll let you know what they say.

mikesmith

Seat Covers
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2003, 08:18:44 AM »
I want to switch to a gripper seat because when Im going up some long rutted out,rocky trails or roads I get arm pump and my hands start to cramp up because I cant hold the bike with my knees and Im componsating by holding tight with my arms.I feel like the bikes slipping out from under me when I try to squeeze it with my legs,almost like the seats greased up.Same problem when I ride in the rain or snow.I dont think KX500 riders have an option you can only get medium grip,but the 125s and 250s can get fine,medium or coarse grip seat covers.

Rick

Seat Covers
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2003, 02:16:02 AM »
While the gripper seat may help some, arm fatigue is usually caused by riding position.  The best position is standing, bent at the waiste, with your head far enough forward so you can see the front number plate.  In this position, your arms are more of a 90 degree angle to the bars, so your not actually hanging on to the bike with your arms, your just working the controls.  This is the only way that riders are able to ride those multi-day races for long hours each day, as you would have to have Popeye arms to ride these events holding on with your arms.  

With the addition of the gripper seat, work with your riding position.  You will be surprised at the difference in body fatigue.  

Rick

mikesmith

Seat Covers
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2003, 07:35:41 AM »
Thanks for the tips,but I should have included that its steep up the mountain roads(I just wrote up) that are getting my hands/arms pumped,I stand in the head over the number plate position most of the time.But these roads are so rutted out(deep ruts)  with rocks as big as base balls to basket balls that I have to get back on the bike for traction and to keep from going over the bars!But Im always open to good tips.Destry Abbott was going to put a" riding tips" in his web site but I guess hes pretty busy,maybe Paul should put one in Pit Bull as the 500 is differant to ride than most other bikes,and people new to a 500 seem intimidated by it.Plus we all could learn to go faster!