Author Topic: Elineaccessories high output lighting coils/flywheel weights  (Read 5164 times)

Offline demographic

Elineaccessories high output lighting coils/flywheel weights
« on: November 24, 2003, 06:52:35 AM »
I am getting a bit tired of the glow worms arse that I call a lighting system and am considering an upgrade from the Electrex coil running through a regulator/rectifier and battery to one of the Eline external coil/flywheel weight.

I e-mailed Elineaccessories a while ago to ask if they made em for my 90 model 500.

They said that they fitted 94 or later KXs but after looking on buykawasaki.com at the part numbers I am baffled why they don't fit mine.

The flywheel are the only thing that could be the reason (I can see) with my flywheel being part number 21007A and the 2003 model part number being 21007.

Does anyone know if Eline have tried to make one fit an older bike or if they just first tried it on a 94 and didn't bother with earlier bikes.

Anyone tried em? any comments?

I kind of want this setup but it's a hell of a lot of cash to chuck away on something that doesn't fit

Offline bigborefan

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2003, 03:48:34 AM »
I have read somewhere about your problem. I remember reading that the ignition-flywheels are different on certain years. Give Eline a phone call. They may be willing to ship you one to try and/or they may have actually tested the fit and are providing good data.
2006 KTM 300XC
1994 KX 500 x 2
1991 KX 500
1988 KX 250

Offline demographic

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2003, 04:18:38 AM »
I will give that a bash and see what gives.

Only trouble is it costs a bleedin fortune to phone the US from england

I wonder if I get the newer flywheel it will help or will that knacker the job right up.

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2003, 04:26:22 AM »
Demo, I called Kawasaki and eLine for you. Here's a couple things they mentioned:

FROM Kawasaki:
The crank diameter, electrical system, and cases are different between 90 - 94

FROM eLine:
the stock stator and flywheel assemblies are different and the eLine components don't fit the '90.

Offline demographic

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2003, 07:22:00 AM »
Quote from: Paul
Demo, I called Kawasaki and eLine for you. Here's a couple things they mentioned:

FROM Kawasaki:
The crank diameter, electrical system, and cases are different between 90 - 94

FROM eLine:
the stock stator and flywheel assemblies are different and the eLine components don't fit the '90.

Thanks very much for putting the effort in for me.
That was really good of you, I owe you one.

The stuff that Eline said ties in with what I have now looked up on in buykawasaki.com but strangly enough the info kawasaki gave you seems at odds with their own website in a couple of areas
Weird that Kawasaki said the crank diameter if different cos the 90 and the 94 and also 2004 models share the same part number for the LH crankshaft (13037-1358) :?

Also acording to bukawasaki.com the crankcase set has the same part number (14002-5258) for the 90,94 and 2004 models.

The flywheel/rotors do have a different part number between the years with 90 having part number 21997-1182 and both the 94 and 2004 having part number 21007-1241.

The stators have different numbers with 90 having two options and mine being 21003-1215 and 94 model having 21003-1242 and 2004 having number 21003-1307.

The ignitor on mine is exactly the same as the 94 and 2004 model also.

From all this it looks like if I want it to fit the Eline coil I will have to get a later flywheel rotor and possibly a later stator.

Thanks again Paul.

Regards Scott :D

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2003, 07:25:58 AM »
The difference in cranks was a mis-understanding I had from Kawasaki. The difference is that the diameter of the flywheel hole is difference than the later flywheel. This would allow the flywheel to be closer - OR maybe farther away from the stator (didn't catch which it was) to acommodate the electronics behind it. Or something like that :lol:

Anyways, you don't owe me anything. I was glad to help and save you a phone call.

Offline demographic

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2003, 08:15:30 AM »
Quote from: Paul
The difference in cranks was a mis-understanding I had from Kawasaki. The difference is that the diameter of the flywheel hole is difference than the later flywheel. This would allow the flywheel to be closer - OR maybe farther away from the stator (didn't catch which it was) to acommodate the electronics behind it. Or something like that :lol:

Anyways, you don't owe me anything. I was glad to help and save you a phone call.

Well, thanks anyway :)

Looks like I will be on the lookout for a 94 or later flywheel and maybe also a stator then I might just uprate my electrical system so I can fit the more powerfull lighting coil.

Cheers

Scott

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2003, 08:23:35 AM »
Good luck

Offline demographic

Re: Elineaccessories high output lighting coils/flywheel weights
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2007, 09:39:07 PM »
Well only four years on  :roll: and I have managed to get a 99 flywheel sent over from one of Ebays US sellers.
$100 plus postage or just over 50 quid to me.

I have measured the outside diameter and its as near as dammit the same as my 90.

90 (110.89mm)
99 (111.04mm)
So thats not the problem but at the moment I have not removed the 90 flywheel to check the hole depth, I have measured (with a ruler as I couldn't get my verniers at the still attatched 90 flywheel) the width of the flywheels.

The 90 model one is as near as I can make out 40 mm wide and the 99 one is 37.23 mm wide, this measurement doesn't include the rivets cos is wouldn't have been an acurate measurement on the 90 one unless I could get my verniers at it.

From the difference in widths I assume that the 90 model flywheel doesn't give enough clearance for the lighting kit.

Its also might be possible that the 99 flywheel would allow the steahly flywheel weight to fit inder the Boyeson ignition cover but I have not fitted it yet to check that one out.

Also as mentioned I have not measured the flywheel hole yet as theres a nut in it at the moment.

Offline demographic

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2007, 04:32:09 AM »
That's crazy Iwent threw this six years ago with e-line and baja designs with my 1990 kx500. I put a 94 flywheel on and the lighting coill went right on. I told e-line and baja designs what had to be done to put that coil on kx500 older than 94 I guess it went in one ear and out the other. I went threw hell figuring this out you would think that they would pass this info on to keep people from going threw what I had to go threw. :?

Brian isn't it?

How do you like the Eline coil? Is it any good? Its currently selling for ?459 dollars which works out at about 230 quid (I can't remember it being as good to buy things from the US as now) and I think I can live with the cost if the products really good.
Have you had any problems with it?

As a side note, whats going on with the US economy at the moment? Is it affecting you guys?
It must be great for export I suppose but the dollarrs really weak at the moment isn't it.

Scott.

Offline demographic

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2007, 07:16:23 AM »
The coil works good it would be better with a battery and full on charging system but that would be a lot of work and weight but it would be worth it if you ask me. the light goes bright and dim with engine rpm it would not do this with a battery.Yes I did have a problem with it if the puck tuoches the coil at all it will destroy the coil it is inportant to check the crank run out.I also put .002 shim stock to wrap the center bolt where it goes threw the puck this helped to perfectly center the puck make sure you get the coil lined up good or you will find yourself out in b.f.e. with no light.

As far as the economy goes I try not to pay much attention to it.  The world is ran by idiot's and that's out of my control. Gas now costs me almost as much as your beer and its getting to the point that I almost can't afford to drive to work.

I already have the battery anyway as I kind of like stuff like indicators and good lights, it makes the bike look better so the police are less likely to stop me and ask if my exhaust is legal (ahem) for the road.

A fairly simple to make wiring diagram and tutorial can be found HERE and after making my own a while ago and not being quite happy with some of it I have just bought some GSXR left side switchgear to make a better job this time.
I have a length of seven core trailer cable as well so this time it will be a lot neater.
I also don't like lights that are dependant engine revs cos oncoming drivers think I am flashing main beam at them.
Thanks for your informative reply.

Economy, Don't get me started on petrol prices...

Its 89p per litre over here which works out at about $6.73 per US gallon if my maths is right :-(

Edit.
After buying the GSXR switchgear like shown in the link and having a good look at it it will need to be modified a fair bit to work with the wiring diagram they show, I only want to be able to use fairly standard switchgear cos that means if I damage it its simple and quick to replace so will modify the wiring harness instead, this might well mean that I will have the only KX500 in existance with fully working hazzard lights :oops:
« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 07:15:51 AM by demographic »