Author Topic: Trans oil?  (Read 4326 times)

99raptor

Trans oil?
« on: April 21, 2007, 12:55:45 AM »
Just bought a '01 k5 and it had no manual.What kind of oil for the trans/clutch how often to change?Thanx

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
Re: Trans oil?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 02:58:45 AM »
KX 500 Rider

99raptor

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 11:25:27 AM »
an answer is far more effective than referring to a search engine

Offline redlined_KX500

• redlined_K5
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007, 12:27:05 PM »
I run Dextron 3 ATF in my 97. Very smooth shifts and superb clutch action. Only downside is you need to change every other ride.  I just split my cases for inspection and everything looked brand new.

Previous owner used bel-gear saver I believe and shifting was very notchy when I first rode the bike.

I would suggest a little experimenting with synthetic gear oils then try dex3 and type F ATF and see which 1 your bike performs best with.

The manual calls for 800ml of SAE 10W/30 or 10W/40 motor oil. 

The ATF works great especially considering cleaning ability and clutch action.

Let us know what you and the bike decide on.
Don't be scared

Offline ebers17

• RaceShotz Photography and WNY Harescramble Forum
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2007, 01:49:10 PM »
Don't ever run sae 10w/30 or 10w/40 if your serious about your stuff, for the once a month rider it might be ok.  But I tried it out and had nothing but problems, and I believe it even lead to some early over heating issues and even some questionable shifting.  It was the worse idea to try that stuff, I used it for about a month, and I only switched because I was changing my oil probably 3-4 times a week, almost every single ride and race.  I've heard good things though about the ATF stuff, but just after my experience with trying 10w stuff, I'll stick to the made maxima mtl stuff.   Just my 2 cents
MSR, Steel MX Optics, FCR Suspension, MotoOption, Budget Racing, Bulmans Cycle Center, RaceShotz.net

Offline Good

• Yo.
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2007, 03:35:15 PM »
Been using ATF-F for the last month.  Nothing but good reviews here.  Store was out Sat. so I got some 10W30 and had no complaints either.  Cheers.  I'm not a mechanic though, at all, no really, at all, just a rider and shifts were fine with both.

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2007, 05:07:32 PM »
 Please don't get offended if you get referred to a search engine.   Lots of topics have been covered and kept in archive for folks to research at their leisure.  Some of the most knowledgeable members don't seem to interact as much as a new to "Team Green" guy like myself would hope they would.
 I figure they must have answered a handful of questions a bunch of times.
(and I usually find a thread of some sort in archive.  (ie. search).  If something doesn't make sense or You have an Idea to throw out there you can usually "draw them out". 
I also enjoy receiving  feedback from other members and getting a response as opposed to just reading someones old thread. 
     Now back to your question =)
 I have tried everything from simple motor oil to tractor oil for use with wet clutch applications.  Personally I would run a synthetic motorcycle specific tranny oil if I could afford it.  The only things I have avoided were anything with friction modifiers. (as some motor oils do)  The most important variable is you and the service interval.  The more/harder you ride the more often the oil change.
     Amount: if the capacity for the tranny is anywhere close to a qt. she gets the whole bottle.   The main reason I dump the whole qt. is it's easier to measure at drain time. (yup, draining) measuring the used oil from your tranny will let you know if you have a crank seal sucking up your tranny fluid. 
(I've chased carb and fuel issues only to realize I was burning tranny fluid. bad right side crank seal  )
   Your Mileage May Vary!
 Tuck \o/
« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 02:22:44 AM by Friar-Tuck »
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline Good

• Yo.
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2007, 05:32:30 PM »
But, I gotta say, no offence, but, how HARD do you ride man?  I freaking go down almost every time I ride (suxorz, but I can't help it!!!) from pusihing the envelope (anyone want to sponsor a 31 year old no-fear type?).  (SRH/Fleshgear pay attention) J/K!

Should I change my oil every time I ride (2-3 hour free riding) using ATF-F or just ride a few times with ATF-F/10w30/40/whatever and change it eventually?

Offline FuriouSly

• the "Base Camp"
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2007, 07:48:58 PM »
I figure they must have answered a handful of questions a bunch of times.
(and I usually find a thread of some sort in archive.  (ie. search).  If something doesn't make sense or You have an Idea to throw out there you can usually "draw them out"....Friar-Tuck

Nice Post Tuck...

The only things I have avoided were anything with friction modifiers....Friar-Tuck

Definately avoid FM's in 2S,  for your clutch plates welfare....  they work great on 4Stroke applications for an isolated cam/valve train system  (KTM,  Honda,  Etc...)

Unlike a 4S where the combustion process adds products of combustion to the oil,  2S oil actually only gets the wear particles from the gears and clutch plates.  If you tend to lug in the woods,  slip the clutch alot,  or put alot of torque to the ground (drags,  real MX,  or dunes)  you should change the oil after every outting.

Most riders can get away with a fairly inexpensive oil like ATF and change it after every outting for cheap.  If you have alot of motor work into your bike and ride it hard... then generally the oil change is part of the prep for the next outting,  just like the air filter change.

Like mentioned in other threads,  I use H*nda HP Trans Oil SAE 80W/85W.

Search Engine will get you alot of answers,  you can even Bump an old post for a refresher...

Sly

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2007, 03:30:25 AM »
an answer is far more effective than referring to a search engine

Easy now,  I thought you wanted answers to your question.  I was changing my oil before riding, went into the office as it was draining, checked the forum and found your question.  Sorry I'm not an arm chair KX500 rider.  If I was I would have time to type out answers just like the ones you would find in the search engine link.  So if you would, before you lean to the side that I'm being a smart a$$ by posting a link, stop and think.  "This guy took time from his ride to post a link for me and I don't even know him".  I thought posting that link was the fastest way for me to help you with your oil question/problem and get you on the road to your next ride.  Lighten up man I'm on your side.
Danger aka David
KX 500 Rider

Offline MadKaw

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2007, 03:52:56 AM »
Danger speaks the truth Raptor. this topic has been discused at length several times. all the way to viscosity ratings, peoples favorites, what works best and so on. he was hooking you up with a doorway to a "LOT" of info. a lot of people have experimented with several oils in their own bike and done test to see what works best. they tested shifting smoothness, carbon obsorption and so on. if you get refered to a link here, say thank you and check it out. a lot of people have put some serious time into testing and question answering, it can all benefit you, I know it has me.

MK
Deviate from the Norm!
Father!...The sleeper has Awaken!!!

2001 Harley Sportster xlh1200
'73 Suzuki GT550
'75 Suzuki GT550
'74 Kawasaki Z1 900
'79 Yamaha GT80
'93 KX500*******
'84 Yamaha Riva 180z scooter
08 Q-link Pegasus scooter first new rid

Offline alan

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2007, 04:37:18 AM »
Let me just ad another 2 cents!

Some of the answers may have been answered by members who are no longer active and you may find that the information is far more in depth  than the members that happen to be on at the time you ask your questions.

So my advise is always search, this site has been around a long time and odds are most questions have already ask!

Finally the cost of a web site is based on storage, so if we keep re hashing the same things over and over again it simply cost more.

I would rather see an old topic brought back up to the top again so all of us can refresh our memory.

Alan :-D :-D
« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 04:43:21 AM by alan »
Sand - Dirt - Dunes = Fun
       04- 700V - 01- KX500
        08 TeryX 2012 KX450F

Offline Good

• Yo.
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2007, 07:41:49 AM »
Makes sense!  :-D

99raptor

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2007, 12:51:41 PM »
Sometimes when searching your answer are 2 yr old posts and I kinda like to know what people are doing now,as ideas and techniques change.

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2007, 12:43:09 AM »
ATF Type F for the last three years. Change it every other ride and it still looks like new when I drain it. Bottom end was apart last year everything is looking good.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com