Author Topic: Primary gear crank seal - Replacement  (Read 2229 times)

Offline kiwikx500

Primary gear crank seal - Replacement
« on: January 10, 2007, 09:09:22 AM »
Ki ora

Is this a big job to do ? Costly ?

Take it motor has to be taken out of bike ?

Anyone had crank seal replaced by bike shop - cost ?

Cheers  8-)
1990 KX 500

Offline Johnniespeed

• The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of Death.
Re: Primary gear crank seal - Replacement
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 11:21:57 AM »
  The clutch cover gasket is about $15 and the seal is about $12.   I have not yet installed this seal in a KX500 yet.  On my red bike it was very easy to do, once the clutch basket was out of the way.   I was thinking it would be the same until I looked at the parts diagram. They show the seal on the inside of the case half. I will be watching this post closely to find out if it is replaceable without splitting the cases.
  By the way, I had a red bike that ran real bad when the transmission was full,lots of spooge at the slilencer joint, after riding a half hour it ran great. When I got it home the transmission would be empty. Every time I filled the trans it would smoke and load up. It was sucking the trans oil through the seal. Simple fix and I thought I was a genius because I figured it out,after asking around I found out most two stroke guys already knew about this, and I wasnt so smart after all.   John
Spring is here and the Mighty 500 wants to ride.
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.

510rider

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 01:16:53 PM »
Just replaced mine..TWICE!!!!!!  Be sure and use the Kawasaki seal!!!!  I was in a hurry and got a aftermarket seal.  The big 500 sucked it right out.  You do have to split the cases.  The seal mounts from the inside.  If you don't have the right tools, have a shop do it.  Alot of people think they can just drive it out with a hammer, ( you can), but it will get the crank out of balance!!!!!!!!  If you want to save money, tear it down to the cases, ready to split, and have your dealer do the rest.  Then put it back together yourself.

510rider

Offline kiwikx500

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 01:32:11 PM »
Cheers Guys - Interesting info

If you have not already read - this post is a carry over from

http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,2785.0.html

John your term "load Up" fits perfect to the running of my bike low to mid range

510rider is there any similarities in my other post to when yours went ?

Yep will get someone who knows what they are doing to replace it - a dealer - hopefully minus a hammer

1990 KX 500

Offline kx666

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 04:34:35 PM »
when i was working at a dealer i used every tool as a hammer more than my hammer... it is amazing how much more can be accomplished in a day at a shop compaired to the garage. probably from all of the time sitting on the bike making motor noises....
i hope i am not the only one.
~steve

dcollins4328

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 01:45:50 PM »
Where do you get the proper tools to do this job yourself? The seal remover, installer, and the bearing removers.