Author Topic: Top Radiator Bracket Mod.  (Read 1756 times)

Offline FuriouSly

• the "Base Camp"
Top Radiator Bracket Mod.
« on: August 22, 2006, 08:02:20 AM »
The top radiator bracket of the KX5 rads tend to break due to vibration and layovers. Rad guards help with the crush factor but this will help with the keeping the rads on your bike factor. The left has a piece of aluminum sheet/plate welded on (across the bracket and onto the top of the radiator) to make a bomb proof anchor to the bike. Of course I had to smooth and polish the job.  I have tested them at the dunes over a weekend and they are perfect.  I am going to remove the rads and polish the caps/tops to match the mod finish.

If you do this yourself or have this done, make sure to remove all the hoses and the plastic bleed cap/bolt beforehand, since the heat will destroy these parts.  Tested and True.  I did this myself with my TIG.  Sly.

Offline KXcam22

Re: Top Radiator Bracket Mod.
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 09:38:58 AM »
Sly,
  Sweet mod!! Simple and effective. Good one. Cam.

Offline FuriouSly

• the "Base Camp"
Re: Top Radiator Bracket Mod.
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 02:27:40 PM »
UPDATE...   I have taken the KX5 out on 3 big dune rides and the radiator bracket mod is perfect.  I forgot to mention that the tabs weld runs over onto the top cap of the radiator, bonding the bracket more securely to it.  Love the set-up, now to polish the rest of the rad tops...

Sly