Author Topic: Best Brake Pads  (Read 3576 times)

Offline KXcam22

Best Brake Pads
« on: August 30, 2006, 05:14:45 PM »
My front Dunlopads are beat, squeeling and won't stop when wet. They were great but, it's time for some new ones.  Any suggestions on what the best?? Cam.

Offline Arigato

Re: Best Brake Pads
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 01:40:06 AM »
Stock and EBC have always worked well for me.

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 01:48:28 AM »

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 06:13:27 AM »
The EBC pads have worked great on my old bike. But I went with new rotors at the same time. Check your rotors.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 06:27:30 AM »
My front Dunlopads are beat, squeeling and won't stop when wet. They were great but, it's time for some new ones.  Any suggestions on what the best?? Cam.

I've tried many different brands, EBC's  offer the best value, easiest on your rotors, and good performance (even on spongy, older KX brakes)
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2006, 07:15:41 AM »

Cam I went with EBC when I replaced my brakes and they worked perfect. Lasted as long as my bike. Never replaced them except once.

RIDEitINTOtheGROUND

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2006, 07:39:26 PM »
i should have some Galfer Greens on mine for this sunday, i'll let you know how they work out.

they also make a full system, i think oversize with ss braided lines.. for when i get a little more spending $$

Offline kx666

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2006, 03:06:06 AM »
The ebc pads work great, but they have different levels of compounds that work better. the stock pads work just as well but they will be more consistent and they dissipate heat much quicker.

EBC pads are also 1/2 the price...it comes to personal preference.

i will only run stock pads in the rear, front i am not so picky...

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2006, 03:53:45 AM »
Does anyone know the front disc runnout spec? A search gave me nothing. My front brake went from 2-finger excellent to to a high potched squeeler with no stopping power, all in a few rides.  I had EBC MXC carbon compound pads on (thought they were DP) which were great.  They actually were not worn that much but I put on the set of EBC MXS sintered pads that I just got.  Still the same problem!  Air, glazed or bent disk??   I bled the system, deglazed the disk and checked the runnout.  I got 0.010" which was less than it looked to the eye then tuned it with a soft hammer (thanks Mike Smith or Rick I think) to get 0.002.  Hopefully will try this weekend to see it I made any progress.  Cam.

Offline kx666

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2006, 05:14:30 AM »
what year is your kx? i could be wrong but ithink they did make a change in the ft brake in '92. i am not positive but just to make sure. I can look it up when i get home tonight.

Offline kx666

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2006, 02:33:34 PM »
Does anyone know the front disc runnout spec?

The service runout  for both ft and rear is .01". Standerd tolorence is .006". (for the c-1, i  missplaced my newer manual) so that is not the problem...

have you check out your disc? the service limit for disc thickness is .1" (standard is .12-.13") again this book is for the C-1 (i think that is like 1988???)
if there is any grooves, cracks or chips in your disc that would cause the "high potched squeeler"  also just for S&G's when was the last time you blead your brakes?

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2006, 05:56:56 PM »
Thanks 666 thats good info.  At worst case my disc was at max tolerance. now it's good. Brakes get bled lots. Surface does not appear to be worn, cracked or grooved.  I'll need a ride to confirm if the changes I did helped.  Thanks. Cam.