Author Topic: New Member  (Read 2179 times)

jolly green thumper

« on: August 04, 2006, 04:30:48 AM »
Just bought a 2003 KX500. This is my second KX 500. Sold a 1987 nine years ago, and I am just getting back into riding within the last year. Just asking about what upgrades I should consider performing during the winter months. Has anyone used both Boyesen reeds and V Force 3 reeds? Is the V Force 3 worth the extra money? This site is amazing, and thank you in advance for any help. The bike is in new condition with maybe 30 hours use. Mike.  Forgot to mention in my first post I also have a 03 YZ450 which I do enjoy riding. Just could not pass on the 500 when I found it. Mainly do trail riding(65 %) and 35(%) track. Live North of Toronto. If there are any other members in Southern Ontario, would like to hear about some spots to ride at. Some members have said the FMF Gnarly pipe would be best choice.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 09:13:26 AM by jolly green thumper »

BLAZE

Re: New Member
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 04:49:29 AM »
WELCOME! I hear those K5 are mean :evil:!!...I need one! :x

Offline FuriouSly

• the "Base Camp"
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006, 05:50:37 AM »
Sounds like a nice ride.  Congratulaitons !  What type of riding do you do (dunes, woods, desert, trails, track..)? 

Boyesen rad valve is definately my favorite.  It has an aluminum body intead of the stock rubber intake boot (much better looking, lasting, and less air leak problems).  They are Carbon Fiber reeds which last quite awhile, depending on hours used.  You can flip them over every season to keep the curve to a minimum.

The V-Force are good also, but you have to cut and modify your stock intake boot to use them.  They are carbon fiber also, but there are double the reeds (not necessary in my opinion) and they are not held in by screws any more (not very durable/safe in my opinion).

Usually a pipe (Stock Silencer is best), reeds, and jetting will give you enough power.

Sly

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 07:12:39 AM »
Welcome! I got a mean 87 500.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

scarykxer

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 09:34:07 AM »
welcome from england, mine is a 95 road registered kx5 in supermoto trim running v force :lol: :lol:

Offline Timbowe

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2006, 09:49:27 AM »
Welcome aboard the big green ship. Buckle up! The good mods seem to be the Gnarly, moose reed spacer and the Vforce or the Rad valve. This is the back bone of the basic bolt on boost for the big boisterous bitch!

By the way, I sure the Vforce 2 is the only available reed block for the 500. Not the V3.
KX500
Weapon in the hands of the Master

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2006, 11:45:10 AM »
I've run the VForce and the Rad Valve. I've never had a problem with either one though my butt -o- meter told me the VForce had more power everywhere, but the Rad Valve had more of a 250 -ish feel. The double reed design of the VForce allows more air to enter the engine (two sets of reeds openeing 12 - 14 mm each vs. the Rad Valve opening ~ 22 mm) and the design of the VForce reed retainer allows hi or lo tension settings (low / mid or mid / hi power delivery).

The lo tension setting + Gnarly + reed spacer = single trac tractor while hi tension + desert gnarly = dune daddy 8)