Author Topic: Can I tell if my bike is running rich or lean from one ride?  (Read 4990 times)

air

Well I decided before I start working on my jetting Ill get a general feel for if the bike is running super rich or lean, So I put a fresh plug in this after noon and road trails gnarly ones, and some wide open 5th gear gravel roads and some first gear arround trees over logs branches through mud stuff and lots in the middle trails, So it got alot of different styles or riding put on the plug, My question is the plug turned out a dark tan color could that mean my jetting is just right Or would I still have to go through the 1/4 2/4 3/4 wot plug reading test to get the right reading.

Offline Timbowe

Re: Can I tell if my bike is running rich or lean from one ride?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 07:42:35 PM »
Thats the colour you want. What type of oil are you running and at what ratio?
KX500
Weapon in the hands of the Master

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006, 12:52:35 AM »
How does the engine sound or feel when you applying throttle through those different types of terrain??
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2006, 03:25:27 AM »
You sound like you have your jetting down. A healthy tan on the plug is a good indication that your plug is right on. Unless you are overheating, fouling plugs, or have excessive smoke, I'd say you are pretty right on. My KX250 came out of the box running perfect. I raced(still do when i have time) it often and never had problems.

Good luck and enjoy those dunes for me. haha

air

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2006, 05:49:52 AM »
See I fouled a plug last time I was out so I was thinking something was up, But then I realized I havent replaced the plug on it for about 7 rides or so, all of em all day 6+ hours of riding. Or should the plug last longer who knows Ill see how long this one lasts if not Imma try and plug chop test

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2006, 09:59:59 AM »
You might have been dogging it a bit the 1st time out being a new bike (to you).  Your jetting sounds like it is right or very close.  You might just have to try a few bike/plug/oil combos until you find one that lasts.  Under normal riding conditions I don't think that any bike should foul a plug.  On my 500 I run a projected nose plug BPR8ES. Cheap and runs clean for a season (for me).  Most here use the BR8EIX iridium.  I haven't tried it yet (soon) but sounds like an excellent plug that lasts forever.  It is certainly a good idea to do a full throttle plug run (on a new plug) to see where your at. Might avoid a nasty surprise later.  Hope this helps. Cam.

air

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2006, 12:44:16 PM »
Thanks for the advice, And this isnt the first ride Ive went on Ive had the bike for about 1.5 years now and rode it alot :P Since I have been coming to this site Ive been concerned about jetting since so many people are oblivious to it.

air

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2006, 06:15:16 AM »
I went to the dunes this weekend at sea level and pulled the same plug outa my bike and it was a golden tan color, So Im pretty happy