Author Topic: More on lighting systems  (Read 3237 times)

Rick

More on lighting systems
« on: April 30, 2003, 09:38:50 AM »
Well,  I finally broke down and purhased a brand spankin' new (complete) stator assembly direct from Kawasaki.  Last weekend, I lost spark 15 minutes before the race and was converted to a spectator.  Ugh.  It appears that the trigger coil is actually the culprit, but I am just tired of messing with this problem, so a new one will go in place of the troublsome part tonight.

As luck would have it, with the new stator in the shop and ready to be slipped under the ignition cover, I now have two stator coils at my disposal (the stock one, and the one I purchased when I thought the coil was the problem), both of which bolt nicely on the stator plate where the lighting coil is intended.  This has me thinking "light? :?: .  So here is my question.

I can get both the old stock and new stator coil to make a 12 volt light work, so I am thinking about installing the stock stator coil in the lighting coil spot on the new stator plate, and buying one of those trick dual hallogen headlights from Acerbies.  Do I need a voltage regulator or can I just run the coil wire right to the light?  I don't want to burn out the bulbs and have to buy new bulbs right away, so thought I would get some quick advice from those of you who have lighting experience.  I have spent my time making big green go faster and handle well at the higher speeds, so have not spent any time working with lighting systems.

If I need some kind of voltage regulator, where can I get one cheap.

Thanks

Rick

mikesmith

More on lighting systems
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2003, 07:02:44 PM »
A voltage regulator is what you should use to save bulbs from blowing out, made by Moose,$14.95 from Denis Kirk.

Rick

More on lighting systems
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2003, 02:07:46 AM »
So, if I install one of those cute little voltage regulators, the old stock stator coil in the lighting coil spot on my stator plate, and the Acerbies dual halogen headlights, it will all work to brighten my night riding?

Thanks for in help.

Rick

sdkx500

More on lighting systems
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2003, 02:54:29 AM »
I believe the problem with the stock stator is it doesnt put out much wattage.  You want to match the wattage of your light system to the stator.  Not enough wattage will give you dim and flickering lights.  Im not sure of the specs on the halogen light you are reffering to.

just my thoughts

djcheez

More on lighting systems
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2003, 09:21:03 AM »
i didnt know that a stator could be used as a lighting coil. i bought a lighting coil for about 80 bucks somewhere. it bolts up and you do need a regulator unless you know the coil puts out x amount of wattage and the bulb/bulbs have the same or very similar wattage.