Author Topic: KX5 surging on idle down.  (Read 2714 times)

bigkev75

KX5 surging on idle down.
« on: February 08, 2006, 05:03:38 PM »
Hi all,

Have not long bought a 94 KX5 and love it except the thing won't idle down proberly when hot it keeps surging (which is a little scary when going down snotty hills under breaks)......have installed new reeds and checked carby.

Any thoughts?

Big Kev

Offline KXcam22

RE: KX5 surging on idle down.
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 03:36:30 AM »
Bigkev,
  Some surging is a normal part of life with the KX5. It typically is noticable when the throttle is chopped and you are coasting or after reving the engine up while in neutral.  Consider it a sign that your jetting is close to optimum (which is good) and goes away when your bike is rich (which is bad).  Unfortunately you just have to get used to it.  If it surges on it's own while idling it means that your pilor jet is too lean or there may be an air leak.  My 92 is one of the worst for surging but I don't notice it any more.  I rarely use engine braking when I ride.  Check your jetting with the jetting chart. The chart is spot on.  To make snotty downhills fun, have a look in the "riding tips and tricks" section.  Enjoy your K5. With a few minor mods they are a wonderful bike. Hope this helps. Cam.

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
RE: KX5 surging on idle down.
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2006, 05:20:38 AM »
Welcome!!! Cam is right, we have gone over for months/years? about the surging. No cure that we have found except making it run bad by richening the circut. But you are dumping performance for that.

EDIT: Moved to the maintenance & tech forum.

Offline alan

• Administrator
KX5 surging on idle down.
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2006, 01:41:36 AM »
FYI I did a search on "Surging" and came up with 7 post on the topic! There is lots of great INFO on this site so don't forget to try the search at the bottom of the page!:)

Alan :)
Sand - Dirt - Dunes = Fun
       04- 700V - 01- KX500
        08 TeryX 2012 KX450F

banshee_srb

engine surg!!
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2006, 07:28:16 AM »
this engine suck too much air!!! keep throtle slide fully close!! With no idle speed this bike is not made to have a idle speed!!! don't worry the engine won't stall in the trail it take 2 or 3 sec to stall!!! Try it you'll be suprise loose the throtle cable!!!! :)

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
Re: KX5 surging on idle down.
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2006, 04:40:27 PM »
FYI I did a search on "Surging" and came up with 7 post on the topic! There is lots of great INFO on this site so don't forget to try the search at the bottom of the page!:)

Alan :)

Try that with this software ;) I came up with 16 searching for "surging" . It even groups them with a relevance score :mrgreen: