Author Topic: aftermarket radiators  (Read 3347 times)

afritts4u

aftermarket radiators
« on: November 21, 2005, 10:50:12 AM »
I posted a few overheating colums. Raced the GFI Elsinor GP and overheated again. I checked the entire cooling system and all is well, impeller, jetting, cap seal ext. The only thing wrong is my smashed radiator fins. Tryied to streighten them but they are thrashed.

Does anyone make an aftermarket radiator for KX500. New factory ones cost about $450.

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
aftermarket radiators
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2005, 11:33:05 AM »
You need to search ebay. I think I just saw some this week.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

motoxjustin

aftermarket radiators
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2005, 11:40:26 AM »
EBAY EBAY
Item number: 4592390113 is a right radiator and Item number: 4592449734 is the left.[/b]

Offline John

• http://www.hallbergs.net
aftermarket radiators
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2005, 08:55:42 PM »
afritts4u,

Your radiator fins have to be seriously damaged before it will have an impact on the cooling capacity. Have you checked the obvious like spark plug, radiator vent cap, higher compression due to carbon build-up, clogged coolant channels etc?

You probably want to make sure that swapping the radiators will actually fix your problem before you buy them?

FYI: You can buy radiator cleaning stuff which you mix with the coolant. If someone has made a cheap repair using coolant sealer, that could cause the smaller channels in the radiators to clog up. Unfortunately, the radiator cleaner will probably make your radiator leak again...

You should also use the proper radiator liquid even during the hot season. Benefits are; no rust and slightly higher boiling point in your cooling system.

//John

afritts4u

aftermarket radiators
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2005, 04:04:03 AM »
Thanks for the response. I will try the flow test and clean it out well. I also was not suspecting the radiators themselves, but process of elimination was leading me that direction. I ran it with the cap off and saw great flow, however that flow may not be making it to the "In Between" spaces. ALso going to try a new cap.

Offline doordie

• Global Moderator
  • Do or Die.....
aftermarket radiators
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2005, 10:00:41 AM »
This is good! :wink:
www.engineice.cc
//doordie
Iceroad champion 2006,still 2007,even 2008 without a single race!

Offline Johnniespeed

• The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of Death.
aftermarket radiators
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2005, 10:55:56 AM »
I bought a new left radiator last year for $255 ( full price) from Kawasaki.  We used to have local radiator shops who could take the end tanks off and "rod" the cores. They would actally run a thin steel rod through the cores to clean out the goop.  There also is a product called Water Wetter that is supposed to improve the ability of the coolant to absorb and disapate the heat. Good Luck with your project.
Spring is here and the Mighty 500 wants to ride.
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.

IridiumRed

Water Wetter is good stuff
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2005, 06:11:27 AM »
In roadracing (and some trackdays, usu depending on the speed/skill of the rider), most organizations won't allow antifreeze in the coolant. The glycol is very slick, makes a nasty slick spot almost like oil if someone crashes

So most racers run straight water w/ something added, like engine ice / water wetter (made by redline i believe)

I really like water wetter. I run it in almost every vehicle I own.  It can be used with antifreeze / water mixes or straight water.

From what I understand, it helps reduce the size of the bubbles that form in the coolant passages.  Ever see a pot of water that is about to boil? Tons of little bubbles form along the inside surface of the pot.  

Well, thats the same thing that happens in your engine when it gets hot - all these little air pockets form - and these reduce the cooling capacity.  If the fluid is not in contact with the surface it can't pull heat out of it, can it?

Water wetter is supposed to make those bubbles smaller. Smaller bubbles = more surface to liquid contact = more heat transfer to the coolant.

it essentially makes "water more wet" hence water wetter :)

I think it does have some anti-corrosive properties, but its said to not have any antifreeze properties - ie, if you run water + water wetter w/o antifreeze, the engine could freeze in cold weather just like if the engine just had pure water in it........... something to keep in mind.........

So if I had something that was overheating, I'd certainly think about using a little water wetter in it, couldn't hurt, but its only going to pull, max, like 10 degrees out.  If you have a serious overheating problem fix that first

-sb