Author Topic: Rotors  (Read 1732 times)

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
Rotors
« on: October 22, 2005, 06:40:18 AM »
I found some wave rotors on e-bay store for my 87 500. I have new standard rotor EBC up front and was planning on geting a new EBC rear std. Can you feel any diff. between the wave rotors and the std :?:
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline Timbowe

RE: Rotors
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2005, 06:59:06 AM »
As under stand it, wave rotors are supposed to keep mud and other crap from cloging up your brake pads. They are designed to run cooler and have a lower wieght. I am running a Braking rear rotor with bronze impregnated pads at the mo. SWeet as. Check the disk is a cast one, not just a S/Steel jobie that some one has profile cut out of a sheet. The difference being the cast ones have a much better grip and feel over any other material.
KX500
Weapon in the hands of the Master

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
Rotors
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2005, 07:07:38 AM »
Thanks. I will get the mate to my new front(EBC STD.). I found a rear disk and caliper cover on e-bay should be here next week(new old stock from the 80's). I'm hoping it will help keep some mud out of the pads. My front disk cover seems to help keep some mud out of the pads.
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
hughes@dirthammers.com

Brett

Rotors
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2005, 02:08:35 PM »
Timbowe i was actually looking into getting a disc lasercut but you reckon their is a big difference between cast and sheet.  When you say stainless steel do you really mean that? as stainless has very bad coefficient of heat transfer. I was going to draw a disc up on autocad and send it to my local lasercutter and just get one made of mild steel. But for the vents was thinking bout writing kx500 or something on it i thought would be pretty cool and only cost $15aus.  Let me know if it was a stainless disc or a mild steel one that was crap compared to the cast steel one.

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
Rotors
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2005, 01:23:45 PM »
I think that stanless has more carbon in it making it have more friction with the pads.
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
hughes@dirthammers.com

Offline Timbowe

Rotors
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2005, 07:23:16 PM »
Yeah Brett S/S is crap for disks. Mild steel could be OK? Dunno personally. On the road bike a disk that has a certain amount of "iron" in the cast is the way to go. The pads (specially sintered ones) have superb feel and power compared to other materials. The rear disk on the KX is a cast one allthough the specific material makeup is unknown to me. Doesnt seem to rust up much like the road bike ones but you can see the cast mark on the unmachined surfaces. Teamed up with sintered pads this is the best rear brake setup I've had on an offroader.
  Gotta give the cad one a whirl. Look pretty trick! For $15 its worth a shot.
KX500
Weapon in the hands of the Master