Author Topic: New KX500 owner/ice racer  (Read 3284 times)

Flattracker60

New KX500 owner/ice racer
« on: October 14, 2005, 05:30:02 AM »
Hey guys, glad to be on a Green bike.  I have been ice racing here in Wi for some time(yz250, crf450,cr500) and just bought a 2002 KX 500 to ice race. Eric Gorr did my last CR500 and I liked what he did with it, but I feel the bike had a tendency to "push" exiting corners on the ice AND I was getting "pulled" by those pesky KX's(can't beat 'em join 'em" right). The motor is stock other than an FMF pipe and a Boysen Rad valve. The pipe mount has been rewelded(common, I hear). I know the fast guys are having their powervalves welded closed and ported with a head mod to raise compresion. Any one thing I should be looking to do to the bikes motor? I have read a few posts about a 520 kit....good? Or, do I just call Eric again and have him "do me up" again? Any tips would help as I have been on Honda's for some time.

Thanks
Chris

Offline alan

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2005, 10:30:51 AM »
Welcome! How about some pictures?

Alan :D
Sand - Dirt - Dunes = Fun
       04- 700V - 01- KX500
        08 TeryX 2012 KX450F

Offline YUNGGUNNAZ

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2005, 11:01:04 AM »
there's alot of information to be had here.Doodie ice races and is very good with sharing tech.hold on for a head spin of knowledge.by the way how long is the track and the straightaway's?

Flattracker60

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2005, 11:08:02 AM »
I would love to post a pic, but I dont know how...I could email one of you smart guys a pic, if you want to post it for me.

The tracks are on all different lakes in central Wisconsin, although we race at some 1/2 mile tracks(Antigo and Eagle River). They range from short tracks to 1/2 mile stuff.

I'm pumped to be on a KX as I know they work well..just ask Jeff Fredette and Craig Picket(two of the fastest guys on the ice).

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2005, 01:50:03 PM »
F60,
  Welcome to the site. Up here in Canada the KX is very popular as an ice racer - 8 weeks to go until the ice is good here. Lot of good ice and supermoto guys on the site to share some tech stuff. Cam.

Offline alan

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2005, 02:30:55 AM »
Quote from: Flattracker60
I would love to post a pic, but I dont know how...I could email one of you smart guys a pic, if you want to post it for me.

The tracks are on all different lakes in central Wisconsin, although we race at some 1/2 mile tracks(Antigo and Eagle River). They range from short tracks to 1/2 mile stuff.

I'm pumped to be on a KX as I know they work well..just ask Jeff Fredette and Craig Picket(two of the fastest guys on the ice).

You Bet! E- mail your pic's to adreher@sbcglobal.net  I will build you an album in the gallery!

Alan :D
Sand - Dirt - Dunes = Fun
       04- 700V - 01- KX500
        08 TeryX 2012 KX450F

Brett

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2005, 09:07:45 PM »
I am not too sure what you mean by ice racing but i guess it is speedway on ice. Therefore from my limited speedway experience you would be looking at top end power seriously and that would be why people would be removing powervalves and bogging up so they can put a decent sized exhaust passage into the cylinder.