Author Topic: Radiator shroud variations  (Read 3484 times)

afritts4u

Radiator shroud variations
« on: October 27, 2005, 11:08:54 AM »
My bike came with a set of black and green shrouds. I have been running the black ones. They always seemed super flimsy so I tried the green UFOs that also came with the bike. They actually stick out about 2inches wider than the Black Acerbis. They are much stiffer and have an additional baffel that directs more air. Not a mojor mod but something worth noting!

Offline KXcam22

RE: Radiator shroud variations
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 03:27:10 PM »
Interresting. I compared my black UFO to the stock ones and they were almost the same in size and how far they stuck out. Cam.

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2005, 03:33:47 PM »
I have bought all new UFO Plast plactic's for my 87 500 and they are the closest to O.E.M parts.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline Ramski

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2005, 05:06:00 PM »
Seems backward to me.  I have OEM, UFO and Acerbis shrouds.  OEM and UFO are same, but the Acerbis are much different.
Danny Lesovsky

afritts4u

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2005, 03:38:31 AM »
The UFO right side shroud (when sitting on the bike) sticks out 1 1/2 inch wider (I measured) than the Acerbis. The Left side is only about a 1/2 inch wider.  This is plastic and Im sure some variations just from MFG, heat shipping ext can occure, but Im a definitaly a fan of the UFO. Just wish I could get an all black UFO plastic kit.

Offline Ramski

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2005, 11:56:16 AM »
My advice is to hold on to ANY KX500 plastic you have or can get.  The stuff will only get harder and more expensive.  I was lucky enough to get black plastic before they disontinued it.  Lot's of stuff on eBay from time to time. :)
Danny Lesovsky

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2005, 12:22:33 PM »
Check out tufracing.com. Nothing on their site about our 500's but get the phone number from the contact us tool bar.  Ask for Dave Antolak in  parts. He had side panles in stock for my 87 500. They order direct from UFO. He expalined to me that UFO still makes alot of plactic's for older bikes but your major parts house's only carrier what moves. I asked him about black plactic for newer 500's and he said it was available. Check with him. He had parts for my bike when nobody else did.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline Timbowe

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2005, 02:26:37 PM »
I recently scored Black plastics for my kx5. Front guard numberboard, radiator shrouds, and rear guard. The only bits that seem to unobtainium are rear shock guard white only, and side panelswhite only. Oh and iI got front fork protectors also .
KX500
Weapon in the hands of the Master