Author Topic: Creative pre-mix alternatives  (Read 1808 times)

Offline barryadam

Creative pre-mix alternatives
« on: October 03, 2005, 05:14:54 AM »
What else have you had to use for your regular two-stroke oil and gas?  After you've researched the best oils, carefully measured the ratios, and sought the best gas sources, have you ever had to make something up on a ride?

About a month ago, my son & I were looking at some pretty empty tanks and empty camelbacks on one of the hottest days of the summer.  Being a long way from the truck, we rode down to a private marina at Lake Arrowhead, strolled past all the sunbathers at the boat launch facility in our full riding gear, bought some Mercruiser two-stroke oil and did our best guesstimate mixing it in a borrowed can with whatever they were serving up at the dock pumps.

Ate a great cheeseburger at the picnic area, loaded up with fresh cold water and rode out.  Boy, them marina restrooms were sure better than the bush.

Bike ran great on that stuff.  I've read about guys having to use weed whacker oil in their bikes.  Nothing could be as funny as listening to my neighbor talk about mixing oil and gas to get his Powerstroke desiel Ford Excavation home from the desert.  He was a real piece of work.
"I hate heli-coils. They are like hospice for motorcycle parts."- BDI

Offline KXcam22

RE: Creative pre-mix alternatives
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 04:27:38 PM »
Barry,
  I've used 10w30 before in a pinch, but at least it was fresh and I didn't have to drain it out of the trans dipstick hole.  I usually carry a small pre-packaged pouch of optimol (from the weed wacker shop) in my fanny pack. Only weighs a few ounces but is enough to mix a tank of fuel. Cam.