Author Topic: Kx500 Big Bore Sand Dune Build ( Tire setup )  (Read 6001 times)

Offline DakDirtbiker

Kx500 Big Bore Sand Dune Build ( Tire setup )
« on: January 13, 2017, 10:35:26 AM »
Looking to get some peoples opinions on Paddle tire setups. I have a 2000 kx500 big bore going to order a custom paddle tire from skat-trac in the future. Since the bike will have plenty of power how many paddles would be the best would it be better to get say 18 paddles or stick with say 8-12 paddles so there's more tire spin? The Bike is mainly for racing and hill climbs, I want the most traction possible.

But here is another thought, say i got a paddle with with 24 paddles on it would the tire just ride on top of all the paddles and not dig into the sand? or would it be still good?? is there a certain sweet spot? any opinions would be awesome!

Offline RoostDaddy

Re: Kx500 Big Bore Sand Dune Build ( Tire setup )
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 01:32:30 AM »
I'm by no means a sand or paddle tire expert, but I have found that there are a lot of variables that come into play. From what I've seen rider weight, type of sand, paddle design, number of paddles, and tire size all play a factor. The best thing I can say is to see what others are using where you plan to ride and if you're getting a custom tire done, give them as much info you can and listen to their recommendations. Also doesn't hurt to have a spare rim and tire.
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed.

Offline DakDirtbiker

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 10:43:33 AM »
Thanks for the reply! Yeah I guess it might be best to contact skat-trac and find out what would be best definitely want the most traction for climbing and dragging. Those done up banshees take off quick hopefully ill be able to compete with them with the right tire hahaha

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 05:25:23 PM »
Those done up banshees take off quick hopefully ill be able to compete with them with the right tire hahaha

You will need a swing arm extension as well if you have any hope of keeping up with heavily modded banshees.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline DakDirtbiker

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 06:49:38 AM »
Yeah i was thinking a +4 to +6 inch extension just to help with launching the bike and to make it easier for climbing hills. Don't want to go to crazy still want to be able to turn and maneuver.

What do you guys think of this fat tire setup with the double chains i think it would rob power but you do get alot more tire and wider paddles so it might be worth it

Another picture to show the difference

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 12:03:16 PM »
You should go to facebook and look up Jeff Grawbarger on the kx 500 group https://www.facebook.com/groups/97120775255/.
He drag races a heavily modded KX500 on the dirt, sand, and ice.
He has won 6 championships on his K5 and 8 on a YZ250.
He can tell you what tire to get.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline 68Fastback

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2017, 11:27:32 AM »
I've run 10s and 12s on stock kx500s for years and they were a good match.

With a big bore kit I'd think you could go to 14 no problem.
2005 CRF250R with 1997 KX500 motor, Talon Hubs, Scott's Stabilizer, IMP Pro Pegs, Acerbis gas tank, folding levers.