Author Topic: Which way should I put the powervalves back?  (Read 3168 times)

Offline needsatopend

Which way should I put the powervalves back?
« on: September 11, 2015, 04:10:56 AM »
Since I'm 100% positive I have the KIPS installed correctly, and according to all the timing marks. When testing the action from the main rod with the wheel attached, the side barrel valves only seem to open half way.  :|

So if I turn both valves in toward the middle of the cylinder, each by one gear tooth then the orientation becomes seamlessly correct. I'm really confused as to why Kaw would set the timing indicators on the barrel valves to make them only half way..

My KDX has these barrel valves and at the full open position, there is no half way. They are fully open

2001 kx250
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 04:42:23 AM by needsatopend »

Offline Actionman

Re: Which way should I put the powervalves back?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 06:15:19 PM »
Lots of people seem to find their valves to be off by a tooth, like you describe. Just adjust them to open fully even if it means you have to move them up a tooth.

Offline needsatopend

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 07:27:19 AM »
d**n....so has this not been documented, with any official word from Kawasaki regarding this?? I didn't find any discussion about it on this site, but a few threads on thumpertalk...So far from what little I have found on this topic, it seems to be an '01 only issue

Best way I can prove this issue is by these videos:

With indicators aligned

With each valve rotated 1 tooth from the indicator
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 07:35:41 AM by needsatopend »

Offline Actionman

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2015, 07:51:28 PM »
My valves on my 2000 kx250 SEEMED to be off by a tooth when I pulled on the actuator shaft with my fingers. After I added the round actuator plate and c-clip onto the shaft and tried it again, I found that the added leverage was actually opening the valves fully. I have absolutely seen others that have had to adjust theirs a tooth away from the factory setting to get them right.

Offline Actionman

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2015, 07:57:02 PM »
Youre overly concerned about it, to be honest. It wont hurt a bit to move it a tooth-if you dont like it then take off the cylinder and move it again. Id be more worried about the main valve hanging down into the exhaust port when it supposed to be fully "open". It hung down about 5mm on my bike and I had to machine a relief "pocket" into the upper part of the cylinder port to allow the valve to open fully. Just dont raise the height of the actual port or youll f**k up your port timing!!!