Author Topic: kx500 hare scrambles??  (Read 8281 times)

Offline KXcam22

kx500 hare scrambles??
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2005, 03:01:27 AM »
I find the KX does very well in Hare Scrambles.  I try to embarass the "real" woods bikes as often as I can.  I run mine in the tight stuff at 14/48, no flywheel weight.  I haven't tried lower gearing but even at 14/48 you can hit flat out in 5th on fire roads pretty quickly.  I typically don't have much trouble stalling since the KX power is so electric smooth, and I use my clutch a lot to feed the power in controlled doses.  Clean jetting is a must - it will also be an easy a 1-kick starter.  I hear lot of clutch complaints but I find the KX clutch is more linear than the KTM hydraulic units.  When the going gets tough they have trouble.  Been on a couple of impossibly qnarly hills that gave the hydraulic clutches fits (once stopped can't get going again) but the KX creeps right up past them.  There are some worthy clutch mods on the site (lengthen the arm and re-route the cable) that will make a significant difference to ease the pull. Here is my setup, in order of importance.

Good Jetting
woods tires
Handguards
Boysen dual-reeds
14/48 gearing
1/2" reed spacer
clutch mods

Hope this helps. Cam.

Offline ebers17

• RaceShotz Photography and WNY Harescramble Forum
kx500 hare scrambles??
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2005, 07:08:54 AM »
Cam, i see you say woods tire, just curious as to what tire you suggest then?
MSR, Steel MX Optics, FCR Suspension, MotoOption, Budget Racing, Bulmans Cycle Center, RaceShotz.net

Offline KXcam22

kx500 hare scrambles??
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2005, 11:41:57 AM »
Ebers17,
    I've been quite stoked about the Kenda Millville's, especially the front.  In 34 years in the dirt this is the first tire pair I've found to make such a huge difference to a bike.  Cam.

kx500 hare scrambles??
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2005, 03:21:27 PM »
Quote from: reknelb
I live west of Rochester, north of Buffalo. Newfane ny. Me and a few buddies want to get out to a few rounds. I'm going to try out my bike with stock gearing.

No kidding! I live in Middleport. I've race MX alittle for fun But a few of my friends want to try Hare scrambles, And do some trail riding this year

We should all get together and ride..........

reknelb

kx500 hare scrambles??
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2005, 03:02:08 AM »
I just saw your for sale ad. Wish you had that for sale a couple months ago. I picked mine up in Albion. What are you going to ride if you sell the kx?

kx500 hare scrambles??
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2005, 09:43:50 AM »
Quote from: reknelb
I just saw your for sale ad. Wish you had that for sale a couple months ago. I picked mine up in Albion. What are you going to ride if you sell the kx?

04' Honda CRF450R.  The KX is my spare/fun bike.  I really like it, I just don't use it enough to warrent keeping it.  I've  got some spare parts, give me a call if you need some. Paul

Offline ebers17

kx500 hare scrambles??
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2005, 11:47:46 AM »
I ran my first wnyoa hare scramble with the kx500 sunday.  What a blast!!!  The kx was awesome.  I ran 14t - 48t gearing, and was my first time with the millville tire.  I blew by lots of guys in alot of spots where the mud was and everything. Except for losing my rear fender and bending my shift lever to the frame, everything was great!  I was 1 or 2 in my class until my final lap i was stuck in 4th due to my shift lever getting wacked and i couldnt finish. Can't wait until the next event! - Seth
MSR, Steel MX Optics, FCR Suspension, MotoOption, Budget Racing, Bulmans Cycle Center, RaceShotz.net

reknelb

kx500 hare scrambles??
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2005, 12:17:49 PM »
Thats cool. I really want to make it out to an event or 2 or 3. My buddies dont like to leave the county so  may have to go out to one by myself. They have posted some pics on the wnyoa site. What class were you in?and what number? i saw a few green bikes when I scanned through the pics. Good Job!

Offline ebers17

kx500 hare scrambles??
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2005, 01:35:10 PM »
Reknelb, thanks it was a blast. Its my first year so i'm in the open C class.  I'm in one of those pictures, 5th row from the top, 4th one over from the left.  I'm number 831 (my numbers partially covered though), white helmet, on the ground!!!   I had the whole shot by a lot but locked up my brakes and slid out. Doesn't look it, but it was super slick. Hopefully see you around at some soon! - Seth

http://wnyoa.net/may1race%20032.jpg

Minnetonka_Mark

kx500 hare scrambles??
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2005, 12:56:13 PM »
I recently rode my mint condition 2002 KX500 that I set up with 13/52 gearing and Steahly flywheel weight.  I also have a 2005 KTM 300EXC which I have been riding quite a bit since March.  I rode the KTM on Saturday then switched to the KX500 on Sunday.  Here is what I noticed.

Compared to the 300EXC, the KX feels like it refused to make tight turns, such as making 90 degree turns around trees in the woods.  The KX feels like it was designed to go real fast in a relatively straight line, and that's most likely what the engineers actually had in mind.  

The KX is much more stable than the EXC running fast through deep sand and sweeping turns with berms made of sand.

These two bikes are very differnt indeed.

The 13/52 gearing is a waste of time unless you're going to be running very slow through extremely tight woods.  But I now feel that the KX does not belong in the tight woods, at least as long as I have the EXC available.

I have my KX jetted such that the engine either idles or accelerates very hard.  There is no inbetween.  So riding along I'm either coasting or rolling on a very small amount of throttle which causes powerful acceleration and small wheelies.  This is not a good characteristic for tight woods riding for me.

The power output of the 300EXC is just right for maintaining traction.  The KX running through the 13/52 gearing broke traction too often.  There is so much rock hard thrust available at all times.  The 300EXC has a little "give" to the engine so that as the tire grabs and slows the engine traction is maintained.  The KX never gives in so the tire breaks loose.  

I got about 18 MPG riding very easy.  The 300EXC uses about the same amount of fuel.

Since I have the 300EXC I'm giving up on using the KX500 for Hare Scrambles.  Instead, I'm going to use the KX as a dual sport bike.  I fortunately have a license plate.  The gearing will go back to 14/47.  I'll add the lighting coil, headlight, tail light, etc...  I think I'll have more fun riding on trails, traveling between small towns in rural Minnesota.  With the license plate I can ride into town and buy gas, etc...  The 300EXC will be my Hare Scramble race bike.

I had thought about making the KX into a Supermotard street bike, rather than a dual sport.  I'll stick with the 90% dirt, 10% street dual sport plan.  I now think that a 4-stroke engine would be better suited to a Supermotard street bike that would be ridden 90% street and 10% dirt.

Offline Ramski

kx500 hare scrambles??
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2005, 03:17:56 PM »
You know, I've always loved my KX500, but I can't seem to tame it riding tight trials and GP type moto courses.  I've recently looked into getting a new bike.  Either a GasGas 300 or KTM 300.  The painful part is that I may be forced to sell my beloved KX500.  If so, I'm really going to miss that motor and frame when I'm in the fast stuff during a desert race. :(
Danny Lesovsky

mikesmith

kx500 hare scrambles??
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2005, 10:05:11 PM »
I dont know,its a lot of personal preference on what you like about the 500 compared to another bike.At first I didnt like rideing the 500 in the woods for most of the reasons listed above,but after awhile I loved it and dont ever want to be with out one.I did buy a KX250 for moto/woods use,but my KX500 is still my favorite bike even if its not as modern as the new bikes.I know the bike can win at hare scrambles,Ron Naylor rode a KX 500 to first over all at the Shasta Dam hare and hound the other year and smoked all the "new" bikes by quite a ways,Im sure Rick would agree.The 500 isnt for everyone,and unfortanately thats one reason there not made any more.

Offline KXcam22

kx500 hare scrambles??
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2005, 05:00:11 AM »
Ramsky,
   I always had trouble getting my KX to go where I wanted and to tuck under in tight turns.  Changing the tires, especially the front made the difference for me.  Also, bumping up the low and mid-range power let me use more throttle (but controlled) in the corners, so you exit faster before that wicked KX top end kicks in. But hey, the 300EXC is a very nice machine. With a gnarly (and jetting-it's gotta be the only bike jetted worse than the KX500) it has some nice power. Cam.