Author Topic: brakes don't work after brake pad change  (Read 5690 times)

Offline alexander-vmann

brakes don't work after brake pad change
« on: June 02, 2015, 08:11:15 AM »
i had to drain the brake fluid from the bleeder niplle at the calipper in order to push back the pistons so that i could install new pads, but it turns out i drained to much and air got in to the system, so i filled up the litle resivoar at the master cylinder with some dot 5,1  but nothing happens, i pump the brakes and tiny air bubbles come out of the resivoar but the pressure does not build, i tried bleeding the system but no air comes out of the nipple just a litlle fluid and still no pressuere, does anyone know what i can do about this? it worked just fine before, only change i did was re route the line to the front of the number plate becuse the previous owner had it behind the plate
KX 500 newbie

my bike: 1993 kx500

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
Re: brakes don't work after brake pad change
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 08:22:48 AM »
did you try gravity bleeding them?....that's the only way I'll do front brakes.(everyone has their favorite way)...
open the bleeder at the caliper, remove the reservoir cap at the handle bars and fill it up....then sit and wait until fluid starts leaking out of the bleeder.
then you should have no problems pumping them up to get pressure....just don't let the reservoir run dry while it start s leaking out of the bleeder.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 11:39:28 AM by Foxx4Beaver »
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline alexander-vmann

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 09:04:16 AM »
i tried a few of the tricks that was in galfer's brake line install video on youtube, and it helped, i got brakes now but i think there migth still be compresed air in the system becuse the front wheel don't spinn easily, but that migth be becuse of new pads and disc, gravity bleeding sounds like something that migth take a while, do you meen i should just open up a let it flow?
KX 500 newbie

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 09:09:05 AM »
do you meen i should just open up a let it flow?

yup..."usually" takes no more than 10 minutes.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline alexander-vmann

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 09:27:27 AM »
do you meen i should just open up a let it flow?

yup..."usually" takes no more than 10 minutes.
but is there a chance for air to get in at the nipple?
KX 500 newbie

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 09:32:14 AM »
only if you go messing around with the brake lever will air get into the system....
you just have to let gravity do it's work...
I usually take the bleeder screw right out of the caliper...then wait until I see fluid coming out....once fluid comes out, then put the bleeder screw back in and snug it up...top off the reservoir with fluid...then start pumping and releasing any pressure through the bleeder like normal.

Make sure you are using NEW fluid too...very important.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 09:51:52 AM »
there migth still be compresed air in the system becuse the front wheel don't spinn easily

or your caliper needs to be taken apart and cleaned really good....meaning the caliper pistons could be getting hung up.
Sandblaster did a How-to caliper re-build thread not too long ago...
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 09:55:49 AM by Foxx4Beaver »

Offline alward25

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 11:44:50 AM »
on a side note, DOT 5 is a Harley-D specific fluid.  It has a higher silicon content for the Harley systems and there are some others out there too.  The diff between Dot 3 and 4 is 4 has a higher boiling point.  Use Dot 4 in your dirtbike:)
"Let there be light"

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2015, 01:34:58 PM »
I only got the "How to" article 1/2 done... But worth a look..

http://www.oem-cycle.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=948
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Brute

• 787 ZA005 GE
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2015, 07:04:11 PM »
ALSO with the DOT 5 it will get and will hold air better. If you pumped quickly like most do with 3 and 4 it will form tiny bubbles that then will also have to be bled out. It can be a cycle. You have to bleed/pump slower. Not to mention it will leak where it might not with 3 or 4.
Things Are More Like They Are Today Then They Have Ever Been Before...

Offline alexander-vmann

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2015, 03:55:50 AM »
looks like im getting myself a nice can of dot 4 next time  :-D
KX 500 newbie

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2015, 08:31:24 AM »

only buy the small bottles, and throw out what you don't use afterwards....unless you're gonna change the fluid every ride.
the shelf life for brake fluid is extremely short, then moisture gets in there...and then you'll be pouring water into your brake system :x

Offline alexander-vmann

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2015, 10:07:07 AM »

only buy the small bottles, and throw out what you don't use afterwards....unless you're gonna change the fluid every ride.
the shelf life for brake fluid is extremely short, then moisture gets in there...and then you'll be pouring water into your brake system :x
wow so even a metal bottle with air thigth cap is'nt good enough?
KX 500 newbie

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2015, 10:08:38 AM »
I wouldn't use it after a couple months....if that.