Author Topic: Quick fix!?  (Read 1960 times)

Offline ebers17

• RaceShotz Photography and WNY Harescramble Forum
Quick fix!?
« on: May 06, 2005, 03:37:15 PM »
Hey, does anyone know the best way to bend my shift lever.  Its aluminum and all i have is a torch.  i was thinking just heating it with a torch and then vice grips and then trying to bend it. It's just for a quick temporary fix, i have one on the way but its not in yet.
MSR, Steel MX Optics, FCR Suspension, MotoOption, Budget Racing, Bulmans Cycle Center, RaceShotz.net

mikesmith

Quick fix!?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2005, 10:16:48 PM »
Thats about all you can do,if you dont have a torch you can put it in th oven for awhile to heat it up.Go slow with it or itll crack.

Offline alan

• Administrator
Quick fix!?
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2005, 04:20:14 AM »
I am not sure what kind of aluminum it is made of! You here 6061 T6 thrown around which is a 1/2 hard aircraft aluminum. Other aluminum's are harder yet so if you can heat it and bend it you should probably reheat it and quench it in water or maybe mineral oil! If you anneal it to bend it you should harden it again and it is impossible to know with out knowing the alloy.

Alan

PS If its broke, try and fix it ! If you can't fix it! Buy and aftermarke steel one!
Sand - Dirt - Dunes = Fun
       04- 700V - 01- KX500
        08 TeryX 2012 KX450F

Offline demographic

Re: Quick fix!?
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2005, 04:32:33 AM »
Quote from: ebers17
Hey, does anyone know the best way to bend my shift lever.  Its aluminum and all i have is a torch.  i was thinking just heating it with a torch and then vice grips and then trying to bend it. It's just for a quick temporary fix, i have one on the way but its not in yet.

One method I have heard about is to rub some soap onto the side that isn't getting direct flames from the torch.

Aparently when the soap kind of burns off its at the right temperature to bend back into place.

I don't know if that method works but it's worth a bash :?