Author Topic: Team Green Frame Mods/Gussets? Good Frame Shops?  (Read 3589 times)

Offline chuck671

Team Green Frame Mods/Gussets? Good Frame Shops?
« on: February 22, 2015, 11:43:42 AM »
Hi folks,

Eventually going to rebuild my 89 KX250 (similar basic running gear as KX500, from what I understand).  Figured this would be the best place under the sun to ask and hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Had the bike since 1992.  One of the lower linkage tabs cracked (fairly common?) and bent out slightly, so I had it welded back in '94.  Well, the guy welded in the bent position...duh!  I've shimmed it for many years and it's worked/held up fine, but if I'm going to re-build the old girl, wanted to get this fixed correctly.  In searching, I found some posts about Team Green mods that included gussets for these tabs and the upper shock mount.  Don't know if there's any other weak spots that need to be checked, but would do them all if doing anything.  Slow Vet B MXer, if it matters.

Any good frame shops around the NJ area?  Anyone have the Team Green specs they could share?

Thanks!

Offline motojason

• Two arms, two legs, two wheels, perfection!
Re: Team Green Frame Mods/Gussets? Good Frame Shops?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 03:52:07 AM »
I have the gusset diagrams for the 84-86 frame, but not the 87-89. Did my 85 500 and 84 125 frames when I restored those bikes.

I am interested in seeing the Team Green bulletin for the later frames as well. Your 89 frame is basically the same frame as my 88 KX250 which I am planning to restore next winter.

Generally, the weak areas of the KX frames are around the shock/linkage mounts, at the swing arm pivots, and at lower engine mounts. These are the areas that are most often gusseted / re-welded.  Some of the tuner info I have read talks about fully tig welding all of the gussets on the frames to supplement the short sections of mig welding done by the factory.    

Motorcycles are my favorite people...

Offline LukeG

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 07:55:13 AM »
I've been looking for similar info for a 90 frame. I know about the shock mounts, they also talk about the stem area but I have not been able to find any info or pictures.
1990 KX250 - Wanna be road racer!
2007 DRZ 462 Motard

Offline chuck671

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 12:26:25 AM »
Was searching before originally posting and found the threads below:

http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,10707.0.html

http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,13791.0.html

The top shock mount is noted in both, but neither shows the lower linkage tab mounts.  From what I've read on Thumpertalk - and experienced myself - these tabs seem to be notorious for cracking.  Will post a pic once I dig my bike out of it's winter hiding place in the shed!

Any sample pics of those who've had this mod done - or good frame shops...if they still exist - would be a great help!

Offline alward25

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 04:44:55 AM »
Here is my photobucket album, lots of pics.  97 K5 built in the Team Green shop, then then the stuff I did later.

http://s1240.photobucket.com/user/alward25/library/?sort=3&page=1

"Let there be light"