Author Topic: Are Pro-Tapers worth it??  (Read 3326 times)

Offline KXcam22

Are Pro-Tapers worth it??
« on: December 10, 2004, 03:50:32 AM »
Hi,
  I can't decide it I should upgrade to pro-taper handlebars (also would need new bar clamps and acerbis handguard clamps) or settle for some regular Renthal bars.  I was hoping the pro-tapers might soften the abuse on my aging hands.  Are they really worth it?  Looking for some opinions and experiences here. Thanks. Cam.

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2004, 08:34:14 AM »
Hi Cam, I would say definately. As would a few others here like Rick and Paul. I installed my pro tapers earlier this year and had a pretty bad accident this summer breaking my arm, cracking my hip, burning my leg, twisted my subframe, crush my fenders, broke my clutch lever, and my handle bars are still like new. :-) I have bent renthals by dropping my bike at 10 mph. It is a great investment in strength and it does cut down vibrations a pretty big number. Also, using the aluminum cones instead of the rubber ones made a big diffrence. It was worth it in my oppinion. I also purchased them on Paul's recommendation. Also, I believe Rick runs them too. But I'll let him and Paul chip in when they have time. But I'm 100% sold on them.

mikesmith

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2004, 11:33:49 AM »
Ive run Protapers allmost 10 years now,but I think I'm going to try Renthal Fat Bars nekt (there like $50.00 from RockyMTN),I would like to see how the Long Horn bars RockyMTN is making are (like $39.00).But yes I think for strength and cutting vibrations and ease of mounting a steering dampner oversize bars are the way to go.

Offline machine

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2004, 06:07:38 AM »
I changed to Pro-Tapers, on my 04' KX5 be for I ever rode the thing.
I'll never go back!  :lol:

teamgreen500

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2004, 07:18:36 AM »
The best reason for gettin' them is the likely-hood that they'll be the last bars you'll have to buy. I've found that regular 7/8" Renthals are very forgiving. There's also the "Flex" system that a friend of mine, who's a very accomplished Quad racer (Niclas Granlund), SWEARS by!

Good Luck!

Manny

mikesmith

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2004, 07:43:43 AM »
The Flex bars are by FASST and go for around $300.00,ouch!

Rick

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2004, 11:15:59 AM »
YES, YES, YES, YES, (add more Yes's at your pleasure).

I have two sets of renthals.  One has been on my bikes since 1999, yes, that is more than five years.  The second set I purchased as a "just-in-case" spare, but even after many, many crashes (one on a California dry lake bed during a National Hare & Hound, so I know I was going really, really fast), the bars are still as good as the day I slapped them on the bike.  I even had a third set of bars (double just in case), but I gave them to a friend this summer along with an extra set of bar mounts, as he had bent his stock bars and didn't have the money to purchase a new set of bars.  Figured I had hauled the second spare around in the van long enough.

So, YES, YES, YES (Oh, I already said that....)  Ok, I believe Pro Tapers would be a wise investment.

Rick

fast500#12

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2005, 06:33:58 AM »
i had renthals on mine when i got it the were alright  i thought. i looped my bike bad ( broke off part of the sub frame ) and the bars were still straight. on rebuild i replaced the bars any way with fat bars and the differance was pretty big. less vibe and better control feeling cr high bend all the way.

Offline GDubb

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2005, 05:21:54 PM »
The bike I just bought has Magura SX fat bars on it. Unfortunately I havent been able to ride the bike yet as I have it torn to pieces to get it rideable for the trip to the dunes on the 13th. I have never heard of these bars before, which is really no big surprise since I havent been on a bike in about 2 years. I always wanted fat bars on my other bikes, but couldnt afford them so i am thrilled and cant wait to try them out.  The funny thing is that as many sets of bars that I went through on my last bike, it wouldve been beneficial to have gotten one set of fat bars instead of the 4 or so sets of regular bars I went through.
Rock it 'til the wheels fall off!

"It's not what you ride... It's who you're riding for!" - www.mxrevelation.com -

BrianSM

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2005, 07:59:55 AM »
I have Pro Tapers on both my bikes...... I use Maier alloy hand guards custom fabbed to my triple clamps (on the KX).....I do not recomend using any of the tapered bar clamps for Acerbis or anyone elses product.....The bar clamp will pivot easily when the bars hit the ground......the pro taper 1 piece bar clamp is a pile of crap, wouldn't stand up against even the smallest of crashes..... If you want picts of my mounts lemme know, they have taken a huge hit on both sides are haven't budged.... hope you don't mid my 2 c's

Doug Henry bend......medium

Offline 5dracing

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2005, 01:15:50 AM »
I'm new here and this is my first post, but for what it's worth I have the pro tapers and bark busters and would not want anything else. When your going forward at the acceleration of the 500 and it decides you need to get off, those bars really hold up.
The torch has been passed; Father to Son. He is faster!!!

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2005, 01:16:06 AM »
Quote from: 5dracing
When your going forward at the acceleration of the 500 and it decides you need to get off, those bars really hold up.

:lol: That's great! Mine have held up through numerious get'offs, including one this last summer that should have killed me.