Author Topic: Seized  (Read 6680 times)

Offline GDubb

Seized
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2005, 04:38:04 PM »
Sorry to see that gowen. Thats my worst fear cause it would take me forever to come up with the money for a rebuild.  I take it pretty easy on my bike because of that. Hope you get it together soon.
Rock it 'til the wheels fall off!

"It's not what you ride... It's who you're riding for!" - www.mxrevelation.com -

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
Seized
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2005, 04:38:18 PM »
Thanks Cam!!! I have installed a PVL system, which is the entire ignition. Coil, CDI, stator, flywheel, ect.  So, I'm stumped on where to look. I have crisped the Jetting, but failed to rethink that the PVL system allows the system to rev about 20% over stock where it shifts the power, and never richened the top-end. Even though it ran great, maybe the semi-lean mixture (for running 20% over stock) and mixed with the engine not warm has caused a nasty seize? I'm out of options it looks like, let me know what you guys think, I'm going to send the cylinder off to the guys that built it and let them see what they say. Anyhow, thanks guys, please keep the oppinions coming, cause I will start to tear into the lower-end now, and need suggestions to just change everything or what.

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
Seized
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2005, 04:39:38 PM »
Quote from: GDubb
Sorry to see that gowen. Thats my worst fear cause it would take me forever to come up with the money for a rebuild.  I take it pretty easy on my bike because of that. Hope you get it together soon.

Thanks GDubb, mine too, unfortunately, it happend right at the beginning of the season. :'(

mikesmith

Seized
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2005, 08:53:36 PM »
Was it a Wiesco piston,they take a little longer to warm up.

Offline doordie

• Global Moderator
  • Do or Die.....
Seized
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2005, 11:17:04 PM »
gowen,

The cylinder have been very warm with poor or no lubrication.
(No oil deposit on piston head and dry crankcase).

Could be this:

1.The gas not shaked before filling,oil/gas ratio wrong.
2.Ignition failure.(CDI or moved flywheel).
3.Very lean jetting.
4.Cooling leakage between cylinder/head or in to gearbox/clutch.
5.A large inleakage of air.

Good thing,I think you don?t have to replate,only clean away aluminiumdeposit.
Use "scotchbrite". :wink:

My motto:If it not kill you, it`s only make you stronger! :twisted:

//doordie
Iceroad champion 2006,still 2007,even 2008 without a single race!

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
Seized
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2005, 02:33:15 AM »
Quote from: gowen
Thanks Cam!!! I have installed a PVL system, which is the entire ignition. Coil, CDI, stator, flywheel, ect.  So, I'm stumped on where to look. I have crisped the Jetting, but failed to rethink that the PVL system allows the system to rev about 20% over stock where it shifts the power, and never richened the top-end. Even though it ran great, maybe the semi-lean mixture (for running 20% over stock) and mixed with the engine not warm has caused a nasty seize? I'm out of options it looks like, let me know what you guys think, I'm going to send the cylinder off to the guys that built it and let them see what they say. Anyhow, thanks guys, please keep the oppinions coming, cause I will start to tear into the lower-end now, and need suggestions to just change everything or what.

Gowen, That makes sence if you are on 20% more over rev the engine will need more fuel. You have no carbon on the piston dome not even a little. This could be cause of a air leak leaning out the engine or a lean jetting. The lean jetting could be border line and has taken some time to fail the piston. I'm puitting my top end back together next week and what happen to you is my worst fear. Good luck.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
Seized
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2005, 01:59:48 PM »
Quote from: hughes
Gowen, That makes sence if you are on 20% more over rev the engine will need more fuel. You have no carbon on the piston dome not even a little. This could be cause of a air leak leaning out the engine or a lean jetting. The lean jetting could be border line and has taken some time to fail the piston. I'm puitting my top end back together next week and what happen to you is my worst fear. Good luck.

Shiite. I'm now realizing what I more than likely did.. I use a 55 gallon barrell of C12 for the big 5, and use the little 5 gallon barrels they provide to store my "premix" in, which I use MC1@50:1. I realize that I went and filled my empty gas tank before getting to the park, which means it was not shaken up, which also means it was sitting for a few weeks.. which also means.... dammit. Anyhow, I sent it off to Eric Gorr. At most, it has to be replated which isn't so bad, I already purchased a few piston kits when I had the engine done.

Now, it is looking like I fried the crank bearings. When I rotate the crankshaft, I hear a metalic squeeking or scraping, which it is not coming from the rod (thank God). But soundsl ike the bearing(s), not sure.

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
Seized
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2005, 02:29:50 PM »
Quote from: Arigato
You'll have to see what it looks like after you get that aluminum off.  I'm betting you're gonna have to re-plate.  You should probably go through the whole motor if it has 100hrs on it.  Those 520's make a lot of power and are hard on everything.  Mine twisted and bent the crank.

Double s**t man, my rod bearing is busted. The metalic noise is the lower end bearing. That sucks majorly.

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
Seized
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2005, 05:12:01 PM »
Well, it looks like the rod bearing might be ok. I filled the crank with 2t oil and rotated it a few times, and the noise went away, there is NO up/down play at all, it has some side to side play, but that is it. I think this is ok, guys let me know if I'm off my nut.

The cylinder is out and hopefully will be fixed soon. It took me awhile to send it, cause I had to get permission from the higher power (my love :-) ) to send the extra $$$ on this bike, since I don't ride it often anymore.