Author Topic: 94 kx500 fork springs or fork swap  (Read 4610 times)

Offline rocksolid

94 kx500 fork springs or fork swap
« on: October 31, 2014, 06:55:06 AM »
I went to racetech website filled in the info to get recommendations. Called them and they are discontinued. They told me to call racecraft. Went to
http://www.cannonracecraft.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/CannonRacecraft-Application-Chart.pdf

Im looking for a .50 or .52 front fork spring set and a 5.8 or 6.0 rear spring.

I can find the rear spring online, not a problem.

I cant find any front springs other than stock or too soft.

Are the 94 aftermarket springs not being made for a reason? Should I swap out to new 97-04 style forks? Whats involved in the 97 up swap?

Offline rocksolid

Re: 94 kx500 fork springs or fork swap
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 07:37:15 AM »
Well, I called racecraft and gave them the specs on the springs. They took down the info and was going to run it by the spring tech guy.

38.1mm OD x487mm length with 312mm min travel and 4mm preload.

I mentioned my weight 225 and mild MX riding and about wanting .50 kg but if they though I would need .52 to call me back. Seemed like great customer service so far.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 08:07:35 AM by rocksolid »

Offline rocksolid

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 01:16:29 PM »
Received the springs from cannonracecraft this week and put them in today. No complaints. Pretty straight forward install. Had to put the plastic spring guides on my belt sander to clearance them for the smaller inner diameter of the new springs, but that was expected after watching a few youtube videos of different installs. Will grab some new fork oil tomorrow and hope to get a ride in this weekend.

Oil question, obviously gravity wont get all the old oil out of the forks. The tech guy at my local shop said to fill the forks all the way up till 6 inchs to the top.

Does that sound right? I don't have a CC measuring cup.

Offline rocksolid

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 08:36:21 AM »
I filled them up to 110mm from the top. All seems fine. Bike lost it "Cadillac spongy feel" and no more nose diving on braking. So far I'm happy with the difference, I can come in faster to berms and leave harder than before without pushing out over the top of them. Now to replace my old tires.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 09:28:48 AM »
never heard of cannonracecraft...but that's cool of them to take the time and talk to you to be sure you're happy with their products!
it would be a good idea to get some lower fork guards on there, so rocks, or whatever don't bounce off the tubes and pit the chrome finish. 
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline rocksolid

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 01:15:33 AM »
Yes I got some white covers from eBay and installed them after the spring install. I'm waiting on some tires this week then I'll wash her down and take a new poser pic :-D