Author Topic: loud engine noises up front, normal.?  (Read 3813 times)

jdv500

loud engine noises up front, normal.?
« on: November 15, 2004, 10:25:29 AM »
i've just finished running in some new parts on my 01-500.  i'm able to hear the engine working , sound coming from the front of the motor. more at idle then but also when revving up too.
it's a mechanical fast metal rattle ( deep-tone).** does'nt seem to change with rpm...
 it just sounds alittle loud to me. if i'm standing in front of the bike as it idles,,,,, i can hear the engine working over the exhaust note.!!!!!!!!!!
 thank , jdv

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2004, 10:43:56 AM »
JDV,
  Sometimes the governor for the powervalve will rattle, and it definitely will increase with RPM. Not sure of the severity or the fix (other than replacing things). Cam.

jdv500

thanks,
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2004, 12:30:19 PM »
thanks for the reply,
i just want to relax in knowing that it is a normal bit of sounds, mechanical and all, and that i can get on it without any worries. no frags.!!!   thanks, jdv

mikesmith

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2004, 08:02:05 PM »
I would say your safe(hard to tell without hearing it) but mine is loud compared to my other bikes.

Offline John

• http://www.hallbergs.net
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2004, 10:07:24 PM »
If your exhaust mount brackets are broken (the top one tend to brake easily), this can cause the exhaust to vibrate in the cylinder. As mentioned above, your KIPS valves can rattle as well.

//John

Rowdy-Yates

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2004, 01:03:26 AM »
Rattle??? My bike does almost the same thing but it sounds like the piston slapping i was thinking about tearing it down. But i also lost a spring for the exhaust i think ill try a 3.00 fix before i rebuiled eh?

fast500#12

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2005, 11:35:16 AM »
you'l deffenatly know if your piston is slapping. while you are riding shift in to 5th and let the rpms drop down pretty low and then pin it. if you hear a loud clatter from up front your piston is a bit sloppy in the hole and you should take it easy back to the truck and load her up and take it home and rebuild it.

Offline machine

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2005, 12:51:36 PM »
Check the "O" rinigs, copper washer, and springs on the exhust!
Or even better, just replace them all!  :!:

jdv500

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2005, 02:25:10 PM »
d--n that was cool,, i glanced at this post a few minutes ago and went away to finish a show.came back in here to give an update, when i got back here to it, machine had touched on the exact thing i was going to mention.
i finally recieved/installed the 2 o-rings and large metal crush ring for the exhaust chamber, no more rattle.!!! appearently it was reverbing back and forth against the springs/ cylinder port. i reused the old o-rings/ brass washer, a month or so ago after the new piston went in.  had an awesome ride in the hilly, washed out trails today. ,thanks , enjoy, jdv

Rowdy-Yates

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2005, 04:51:36 PM »
LOL JDV I just replaced my O rings and copper washers. Got new springs, Fixed my Broken top motor mounts.  Have not started it yet but I am guessing mine will be cured. It seems I had most all of the probs people were mentioning.

Offline machine

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2005, 05:04:31 PM »
Nice!

I had the same problem with an old KX250 I had!

Since then I made myself 6 copper washers at my shop just to have on hand.
Nice to have extras!!!!
then went to the local hardwear store and bought a dozen or so (Backers
dozen) "O" rings.

If you want I can snail mail U a copper washer????

mikesmith

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2005, 10:02:07 PM »
Use some high temp silicone on the head of the pipe to.

jdv500

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2005, 03:42:26 AM »
machine,
 how awesome to have a or work at a machine shop. we have a shop out at the hangar on base. that we use for the final fit and finish of aircraft parts, tool mods or whatever the bird needs. the guys there laughed at me when i told them how much i paid for my skid/glide plate for my k-5.
 they then told me to bring it in the next day, they made winglets for it to cover the water pump and side cover, material thickness is the same as the stock plate, countersunk blind rivets and radius corners. they actually rolled the plate to follow the contour of the frame. see gallery pg-6. thanks, jdv