Author Topic: powervalve help needed  (Read 4986 times)

Offline sportracer07

powervalve help needed
« on: March 09, 2014, 11:42:23 AM »
Hey guys im trying to put together an 86 kx 250 that i bought in pieces. Can anyone tell me how to time the power valves, right now i have the dots on the power valves lined up with the line on the rod that goes in between them. Which i think is right but mine dont seem to move very much im i doing something wrong or do they not move very much??

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
Re: powervalve help needed
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 11:43:53 AM »
if you can, post pics and even a video of them opening and closing, so we can see if they're working correctly.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 12:04:07 PM by Foxx4Beaver »
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline yeomans

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 12:15:11 PM »
You've got it right on :-), thats exactly how the 86 valves are timed. exact same method on 250's and 500's
Sometimes they will feel a little snug, especially if theres any carbon left on any of the valves or the inside of the cylinder.

1-install both valves into cylinder
2-turn each valve so the dot/index mark faces towards the front of the cylinder
3-lift both valves slightly and insert operating rod into the cylinder
4-align dot with respective groove in the operating rod
5- install the round aluminum valve guides
6- install o rings onto exhaust valves and slide them down until they contact the valve guides
7-install the right hand governor plug and washer , tighten securely 11 ft lbs.

Look into the exhaust port and at the valves, if you've got it right it you will know just by looking at the position of the valve and seeing how the gases would flow through it will be obvious.
If its wrong it should look obvious as well, but just play around with them a few times and you'll get it.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 12:18:16 PM by yeomans »

Offline sportracer07

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 12:34:13 PM »
Thanks for the quick replys guys, ill try to post a video tmrw, i have it just like you said Yeomans, they move easy they just dont seem to move alot, i figured they would turn around 180 degrees , but idk.

Offline yeomans

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 12:41:07 PM »
Nah, Theres not that much movement in them.
Only a little turn from open to closed.
  :-D

Offline sportracer07

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 12:55:45 PM »
Mine look like they stay open just a little bit is that right or should they close fully?

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 12:59:05 PM »
they should open fully and close fully....this is why I suggested pics and video, so we can see exactly what it's doing....may just need a simple kips bolt mod to get them just right.

Take into consideration, being an 86, I'm sure the KIPS hardware has it's share of wear also, so it'll more than likely be a little sloppy....all the more reason a KIPS bolt mod could be a big help. 
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 01:07:28 PM by Foxx4Beaver »
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline sportracer07

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2014, 01:17:13 PM »
What is the kips bolt mod, im new to this sorry for the dumb question

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2014, 01:21:40 PM »
no question is dumb...here's a link to the mod...this refers to the 500, but it's the exact same idea.

http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,8754.0.html

if you use the "search" option at the upper left corner, just type in "kips bolt"....you'll get more info than you can read in a night :wink:

Offline sportracer07

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2014, 12:57:21 PM »
Ok guys i cant get the video to load up, but i have the cylinder back off and my valves definetly stay open just a little, even with the kips bolt removed, its like the rod  just doesn't have enought travel to close or open them completly.  I was also just informed be the previous owner that this is an 86 cylinder on an 85 bottem end, im sure that changed things.. Any ideas???