Author Topic: 125 clutch issue  (Read 2836 times)

Offline onetwofiver

125 clutch issue
« on: February 03, 2014, 04:30:03 AM »
My bike was stalling when shifting into 1st gear so I replaced with new clutch plates and springs. Made sure the plates were installed exactly like the old worn ones. Adjusted cable. Filled with new oil. Started engine, went to 1st and it only clicked, released clutch and nothing.
Now, with engine off and in 1st it acts like it's partially engaged in gear. Pulling in clutch lever is no different. Tried push starting in gear and it does not have normal resistance. Starts on first kick in neutral and runs great.

Suggestions?

Offline onetwofiver

Re: 125 clutch issue
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 06:54:03 AM »
I figured it out!

The new clutch set had extra clutch and friction plates for a reason. After scratching my head for the past 24hrs, I simply added one of each and it works perfect. Removed 11 plates and replaced with 13.
The new EBC springs were about 3mm shorter but stiffer, so I guess that's what caused the original issue.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 07:01:06 AM »
were the new plates EBC's also like the springs?....I've replaced a lot of clutches over the years...street bikes included...but having to install one extra of each is a new one to me. :?...although I've always replaced em with OEM plates/springs...so maybe EBC is different.

Anyways, cool you got it going....Happy Trails!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 07:47:35 AM by Foxx4Beaver »
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline onetwofiver

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 10:49:42 AM »
Plates were Tusk brand. Supposed to be better than stock. haha. It was a ($50) kit on RMC site. Pressure plate looks good. I know the basket is in good shape. No grooves or anything.
 I Don't race , just trail ride so maybe it will last a while.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 10:54:44 AM »
good to know...roost on!
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ