Author Topic: Air filter – clogging to quickly  (Read 3473 times)

Offline Captain_Chaos

Air filter – clogging to quickly
« on: May 15, 2013, 03:13:14 AM »
On checking my filter after my last 200km off road race (dusty conditions) I found that it was solid with dirt. I assume this is due to the huge amount of air the K5 breaths through its tiny air filter.
This has me a bit worried as I am preparing for the Kalahari Botswana 1000 Desert Race “Mantswabishi”. This is a 2 day event, 500km per day. Unassisted fuel stops @ 60km intervals & DSP @ 250km. I would prefer not to have to change my air filters during my pit stop.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
What are the guys doing at the Baja?

P.S.

Here is a short video of my last outing / crash http://youtu.be/UF4wpDGcRzQ

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
Re: Air filter – clogging to quickly
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 03:23:27 AM »
I ride just like that!  :-D
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Ims Roll

• Ride safe, Ride hard
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 03:33:47 AM »
UNI makes a dual stage air filter, you oil the inner filter grease the ring and leave the outside as is. the oil wont attract the dust like most air filters will because the oil isn't out in the air.
The 2-smoke runs deep in this one...

Offline don46

Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 09:49:23 AM »
you are a perfect candidate for filter skins, you can stack them, kind of like a tear off, and remove as they get dirty.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/9/427/10205/ITEM/MSR-Filter-Skins.aspx?SiteID=Google_PLA427&WT.mc_ID=10012&esvt=0-GOUSC&esvadt=9-0-3886819-1&esvaid=30548&zmam=88421133&zmas=1&zmac=45&zmap=10205&kw={keyword}&gclid=COD8ouWnvbMCFal7QgodwG0AqA

+1 on the filter skins.....alot of the locals use them at Southwick and love em.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 12:37:23 PM »
On checking my filter after my last 200km off road race (dusty conditions) I found that it was solid with dirt. I assume this is due to the huge amount of air the K5 breaths through its tiny air filter.
This has me a bit worried as I am preparing for the Kalahari Botswana 1000 Desert Race “Mantswabishi”. This is a 2 day event, 500km per day. Unassisted fuel stops @ 60km intervals & DSP @ 250km. I would prefer not to have to change my air filters during my pit stop.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
What are the guys doing at the Baja?

P.S.

Here is a short video of my last outing / crash http://youtu.be/UF4wpDGcRzQ

This may be a stupid reply, but keep those useless airbox aux  air inlet windows closed, all's they do is allow more mud, water and dirt to enter the air box, and prematurely clog the filter. 
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline Captain_Chaos

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 05:20:36 PM »
Thanks for the info.

The filter skins seam to be the way to go; now I just need to see who stocks them locally (South Africa).
I am just surprised that I have not seen anyone using them, though I have heard of some guys using hair nets over their filters.

Currently I am using a UNI filter on the K5, I soak it in Belray filter oil and then squeeze out all the excess. This might be overdoing it, but this gives me more confidence than just oiling the inside.

Offline Ims Roll

• Ride safe, Ride hard
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 12:52:55 AM »
you do know you can "over oil" an air filter? it can make your bike really fat really fast.  also don't forget that oil attracts the dust, reason being filter skins work so well. They act the same way as hair nets or a lot of people down here pre 2000's used leggings or pantyhose
The 2-smoke runs deep in this one...

Offline motopunk

• www.der-motopunk.de.tl
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 02:43:17 AM »
i use filter skins since over 15 years. they are an great invention...  8-)
big 2 stroke bikes are weapons for real men, who don´t fear death or devil. ;O)
´83 kx250, ´87 kx250 (with 360 big bore), 87 kx500, ´93 kx500 sfc

---  www.der-motopunk.de.tl  ---

Offline Captain_Chaos

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 05:06:00 PM »
What’s the right amount of oil?
It seams everybody has a different answer on that one.
Personally I squeeze out all excess oil. This ensures that no oil runs into the air box and filters are oiled consistently (all filters being oiled the same and having the same restriction).
I do jet my bikes for heavily oiled filters and this is probably why my jetting is leaner than most.
The K5 does however have tiny filter  – maybe I  need to try something different?

I assume you do not oil the filter skins?

Offline motopunk

• www.der-motopunk.de.tl
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 07:00:49 PM »
some guys take oil on the skins, but for me: no oil for the filter skins, they soak a little bit from the air filter...  :wink:

i´ve learned a good method by an mx-worldchampionchip-mechanic...
after washing and drying , turn the airfilter inside out. do some oil all over the inside of the airfilter, thats now turned out, but not to much.

then sqeeze it softly with your hands to distribute the oil. (take as much or less oil, to feel always on your safer side) ... at the end the whole inside has to be oily and sticky. then turn the filter back. you see the outside dry with a little bit oil, what comes through from the inside.
install the airfilter with the filterskin, but do it in a way ,that you can remove the skin without removing the airfilter of the bike ... its a little bit tricky and i needed a little bit practice to do it right, but then its easy ...

if you remove the skin at middle of the race, you see that the airfilter is in perfect condition for the way to finish...  8-)

and just modified with some pics in the right order .

and now i have to locate my filterskins in garage... was a long winter and much parts and tools are everywhere...  :-D

please do not scare, while i use an old ketchup-sqeezer for bringing on the oil to the filter.i tried it and it works very well for me.. 8-)
 first i did my ´83-kx250-filter, than the 97 kx 250 , that looks like a clown -face. and at least you can sea the dirt from 8 filters, that i cleaned and oiled today...  8-)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 08:12:36 AM by motopunk »
big 2 stroke bikes are weapons for real men, who don´t fear death or devil. ;O)
´83 kx250, ´87 kx250 (with 360 big bore), 87 kx500, ´93 kx500 sfc

---  www.der-motopunk.de.tl  ---