Author Topic: New Power Valves incorrectly machined??  (Read 4119 times)

Offline lsampson

New Power Valves incorrectly machined??
« on: April 19, 2013, 01:17:53 AM »
I recently purchased some new power valves, (Center, LH and RH) and received them yesterday. I installed the center valve, and began installing the LH and RH valves. During Timing, I found it difficult to time the RH valve with the LH valve. Upon further inspection of the valves, I found that the NEW RH valve differed from the old RH valve SUBSTANTIALLY. The slot where the center valve pin rides was rotated (in comparison to the old RH valve).

The RH Valve part number I ordered was 12005-1110. Could they have mis-bagged a KX 250 valve or something??

Here are some pics showing what I'm talking about. The new RH valve is on the left, and the old RH valve is on the right.
When in doubt, throttle out!

Offline kxpegger

Re: New Power Valves incorrectly machined??
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 02:53:19 AM »
Strange case you got there? Both the old and new have the groove at the bottom of the valve shaft indicating RH. How does it compare to the LH? Did the factory groove the LH by mistake or maybe as you stated it's for a different bike or the factory just screwed up the machining? My understanding is that from "89" to "04" the valves are supposed to be all the same on the 500.
North Las Vegas

"05" RMZ450, "08" KX500AF "11" KTM 450SX-F "12" KTM 250SX "15" KTM450SX-F

Offline lsampson

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 02:59:50 AM »
The LH valve was correct, although the opening for the groove was narrower on the new valve than the original grove. I ended up using a new LH valve, new center valve, and the old RH valve to make it work right with as many new parts as possible.

The design of the RH groove is not mistaken with the LH, but its like they had the valve twisted when they began machining the groove. I ordered through Chapparal, but its not their fault. Its bizarre.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 03:01:47 AM by lsampson »

Offline lsampson

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 06:48:33 AM »
Any thoughts Motorrad?

Offline dave916

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 09:45:39 AM »
i have seen a slight differance on the valves ,
Once  the timing mark are the same in relation to the kipp chamber/exhaust  opening u should be ok
]Fit them on a dry run to see if they are working ok

The slot that are wrong are only for fitting the centre valve pins
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 09:49:35 AM by dave916 »

Offline 81cr450

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 03:24:03 PM »
When I align my valves I don't use the marks. Ok yeah call me a tard, but, if you take the aluminum washer & file it to .020 from stock .040 & juggle the teeth one tooth to each side , + you don't need a fancy powervalve bolt, It also guarantees the valves will fully open. Time it right & use it
if I only had a pair, I could actually ride this thing

& to the people I like  FYYFF

Offline lsampson

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 05:36:41 AM »
I played with it for an hour, and there was no possible way to time it to where the valves both fully closed and fully opened. I didn't pay attention to the marks at that point. Either way, a new OEM part should be a direct replacement for the old OEM part. I'm sending it back.

Offline alward25

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 05:50:30 AM »
The marks are only for install before you install the KIPS bolt.  You could have the wrong part but are you sure you are putting the KIPS together correctly?  After you install the KIPS bolt the drum marks rotate away from the front.  From Hallbergs write up:

Fit the valve operating rod and make sure is slides easily in the cylinder (remove)
Fit the left and right valves and make sure they twist easily in the cylinder (remove)
Lubricate all moving parts with two-stroke oil, no need for excess amounts.
Turn the cylinder upside down
Lubricate and assemble the centre valve. Do not permanently fix the screws for the centre valve.
Lift the left and right valves so that you can fit the lubricated valve operating rod.
Lubricate and fit the left and right valves (do not fit the valve guides at this stage) with the markings facing towards you. They should drop all the way down. There should not be any need for force.
Lift the left and right valves so that you can fit the lubricated valve operating rod. Whilst still holding (lifting) the left and right valves; slide in the valve operating rod so that the grooves are in the centre of the left and right valves. Hold it there and twist the valves so that the valve markings fit the grooves on the valve operating rod and let the valves drop into place.
Fit the 'idle gear' (the gear that operates the right valve). Make sure the markings are aligned.
Lubricate and fit all three valve guides.
Verify smooth operation of the KIPS valve by sliding the valve operating rod in and out. If it doesn't operate easily, try to find out why. Maybe you haven't cleaned enough or the centre valve is jamming up the operation?
Tighten the two screws for the centre valve and verify easy operation again.
Lubricate the oil-seal with high temperature grease (alternatively two stroke oil) before fitting it.
Do the fix for the over-closing valve 3.3.2 Over-closing valves
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 05:52:50 AM by alward25 »
"Let there be light"

Offline lsampson

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 01:38:21 AM »
I'm absolutely certain i installed the valves correctly. My issue is syncing the right and left valve with the new RH exhaust valve. I can get them to sync, but the RH valve bottoms out before fully opening. The RH valve doesnt match the old valve, and no matter how you look at it it will not time correctly. I more or less just wanted to see if anyone else had the same issue after they ordered exhaust valves, and to make people aware that it may be a possibility if they do so.

Offline lsampson

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 11:03:25 AM »
I didn't want to sound snooty, so sorry if I came across that way. I appreciate the help. I'll look into it again tonight.

Offline alward25

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2013, 11:16:26 AM »
Did not seem that way to me, if your box I sent you it all jacked up when you get it, sorry in advance :-D
"Let there be light"

Offline lsampson

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2013, 12:54:46 AM »
Did not seem that way to me, if your box I sent you it all jacked up when you get it, sorry in advance :-D

:-o :-D