Author Topic: SoCal KX500 owner & MX'er  (Read 7455 times)

Motorrad

Re: SoCal KX500 owner & MX'er
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2013, 05:07:41 PM »
Awesome collection of bikes Motorrad.  Wow.

Yes, that is the bike that Ronnie tested for DR.  I put it away for about a year because I was pretty bummed with how the article turned out.  Bike wasn't ready, and we were committed/rushed to deadline.  It needed a lot more time/testing. had a few setbacks and frankly the bike just wasn't very good at that time. But I've figured some things out in the last few months and I'm excited to try to go racing again on it. Last Friday, in my last session out on the track, they had just watered and I had a great session. It gave me hope!

USMC, the Buell pic is Horsethief Mile (?) and the RMZ pic is out in the dirt somewhere near that too.  It was spring, tore up some flowers that day. 

I was beyond pissed reading the article.....infact I think I blasted the article here on the site saying that they should have put ronnie on my bike......I know that the k5 in the test was not ready and it wasn't really a fair comparison......Hard to have a good test with a bike running decade old crank seals.......

I never rode horsethief......I've only been at Streets and the big track......I've done Buttonwillow, Laguna and Fontana.....I wanna go run Chuckwalla sometime.

stick him on my bike

Offline martyestes

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2013, 05:11:27 PM »
Yep, learned some lessons on that build.  The problem was, the mag was committed to running the story and I needed more time.  I've done a few stories like that that turned out better, and that was definitely my last.  Was working through some work burnout/stress issues and was basically "over it". Left, and am much better now.

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
  • Sikorsky CH-53E the KX500 of Marine Corps aviation
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2013, 05:16:04 PM »
Yep, learned some lessons on that build.  The problem was, the mag was committed to running the story and I needed more time.  I've done a few stories like that that turned out better, and that was definitely my last.  Was working through some work burnout/stress issues and was basically "over it". Left, and am much better now.

Right on.......Speaking with people in the industry I've been told that alot of times riding is no fun when it becomes work......Glad to know that you are doing better........I think that the first race of the season kicks off this weekend at AV Motoplex....You gonna participate or go check it out?
I once heard my buddy Bill ask Danny Hamel after a race....
"How can someone who looks like a high school band tuba player go so d**n fast on a bike?!"

Offline martyestes

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2013, 05:22:55 PM »
I don't race much anymore...more trails/desert. So no on A/V although I will probably be out there on a Friday afternoon again in the next few weeks.  But I have it on the calendar to race both bikes at Competitive Edge in late May.  http://www.americanretrocross.org/

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
  • Sikorsky CH-53E the KX500 of Marine Corps aviation
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2013, 05:27:35 PM »
Friday afternoon's....ride till dusk!!........sounds good.
I once heard my buddy Bill ask Danny Hamel after a race....
"How can someone who looks like a high school band tuba player go so d**n fast on a bike?!"