Author Topic: IMS KX500 tank question..  (Read 6858 times)

Offline conbread

IMS KX500 tank question..
« on: March 01, 2013, 10:01:30 AM »
 hey guys, i was wondering if IMS still makes the Zip TY style take for the kx500, that uses the 98 style shrouds..

and if they do, anyone still build the pipes??  thanks alot.. eric

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
  • Sikorsky CH-53E the KX500 of Marine Corps aviation
Re: IMS KX500 tank question..
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 10:31:16 AM »
Tanks are still available through IMS but the pipe is the treasure you will need to find. 
I once heard my buddy Bill ask Danny Hamel after a race....
"How can someone who looks like a high school band tuba player go so d**n fast on a bike?!"

Offline conbread

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 10:45:32 AM »
thats what i was worried about.... would be nice if we could get FMF to step back up and build them... im sure it would pick up sales with IMS and FMF....

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 04:45:31 PM »
We have a member that has a KX500 with the zip ty set up and he has a KX500AF bike with a service honda pipe.  He said that he was gonna see if the serivce honda pipe would mount up to the non AF bike with the zip ty tank to see if its an option......

Even if this works you have to remember that the service honda pipe is a CR500 pipe made to work on a KX500 engine....so you end up with a pipe thats designed to work on a bike with no powervalve on a bike that has a powervalve.
"How can someone who looks like a high school band tuba player go so d**n fast on a bike?!"

Offline conbread

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 04:46:49 AM »
so you think that may hurt the power some??

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 04:57:27 AM »
so you think that may hurt the power some??

It won't let the kx500 run at its full potential but then again......its a kx500, are you gonna use all that power anyways? :-D

Offline 81cr450

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 05:18:02 AM »
The fmf cr500 pipe does plug the motor up some but the cpi cr500 pipe lets it breathe right
if I only had a pair, I could actually ride this thing

& to the people I like  FYYFF

Offline Enginerd

• Big Bore Addict!
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 05:33:48 AM »
...the CPI CR500 pipe lets it breathe right.
Oh really?  Awesome!  I've been wondering about that, but I didn't want to spend that much money to find out. 

Have you personally tried the CPI CR500 pipe?

Which pipe model was it?  The sand pipe or the race pipe?

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 03:57:38 PM »
Thinking about it and forming a mental picture in my twisted head I can say that a Service Honda pipe would not fit with the Zip Ty tank......

The pipe will fit under the tank but the outlet of the pipe ends up way too low and has no chance of alignment with the silencer on the KX500 frame. :|  Sorry for misleading everyone.

Offline 81cr450

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 12:40:01 PM »

Yup actually tried both pipes  :evil:

It definitely would have to be cut & turned. Directly behind the front tire, basically inline with the bike so you could roll it up to get the outlet to line up. Nobodys nutted up & actually tried  it on a steel frame yet , though this topic has been covered a few times. Having used both the cr500 fmf & the cr500 cpi it is no contest though. You could use the fmf to detune it & choke it up some if you are riding in really tight stuff, but I know your not Enginerd, you could drop your bike with a zipty tank on it there in Morgan & do alot of guys the favor of having CPI make up a pipe for that combo.

I actually got my pipe before they were making both, so honestly I dont know which one it sposed to be + 9hp over any competitor was how it was listed
if I only had a pair, I could actually ride this thing

& to the people I like  FYYFF

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 04:09:48 PM »
It would be nice if we could get the original jig from FMF and have the pipes made ourselves.  A source of mine told me that not even Don Emler himself might remember where the hell the thing ended up in their massive facility.

Offline conbread

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2013, 10:10:46 AM »
It would be nice if we could get the original jig from FMF and have the pipes made ourselves.  A source of mine told me that not even Don Emler himself might remember where the hell the thing ended up in their massive facility.

i wish someone could email and ask him...

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2013, 10:25:56 AM »

i wish someone could email and ask him...

I just sent an email that might answer this question for us.....maybe.  Out of all our mechanical masters here who would be interested in buying the jig if it is made available?

Offline conbread

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2013, 01:51:10 PM »
they have to see all the guys who still run these bikes in the desert, and that pipe would sell like hot cakes.... even if it cost a few more bucks than the regular pipe....

mabey we could chip in and help one of the master builders buy the gig...

Offline RoostDaddy

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2013, 02:58:48 PM »
I'd also check to see if he has made any progress on his conversion if you get to chatting with him.  Supposed to be building a KTM with a K5 motor set-up to race the BAJA.  Might be another pipe in the making?  If you cant get him talking, I'd try with Gorr.  (thats where the conversation started, so I've read)
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed.