Author Topic: Is this where the party's at?  (Read 1552 times)

Offline sbutterworth

Is this where the party's at?
« on: October 21, 2012, 04:39:12 AM »
Greetings fellow riders.

So I just picked up a 91 KX500.  Really happy with it so far.  Scary and thrilling power delivery.

The front brakes were non-existent, so I bled the lines and put in new pads.  Much better now but still not as good as what my 2010 TE510 Husky has.
Is this because the brake lines are not steel braided, or is there any other tricks or mods to improve the brakes?

The front forks bottom out or click hard extending to the end.  I am guessing there is little to no dampening going on, so I thought I should probably replace the seals and refill the fluid.
Does anyone have as link or digital copy of a manual showing how to perform this service?

The bike needs an oil change and an air filter cleaning also.  Any tips or tricks to share?

The gas tank was cracked once and repaired.  So it still leaks a bit at the top.  Any recommendations for a replacement tank?

Cheers.

Sean

Offline KXDINO

Re: Is this where the party's at?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 08:07:22 AM »
You want more braking power, go oversize disc etc.Still want better, go kx f 2013 master on it,then go for braided,as for the forks go gold valve or similar,the stock piston dont flow enough,this stuff will make a differance.

Offline martyestes

Re: Is this where the party's at?
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 05:31:02 AM »
On the front brake, those master cylinders on Kawasakis in the early 90's were really mushy.  I did some research and discovered that Yamaha master cylinders have the same cable routing as the kawasakis.  I grabbed a master cylinder off ebay for $30 off a 2006 YZ450F and it made a huge difference.  If your cable isn't steel braided, it's probably a good way to go also.

Air filter and trans fluid change - about as straightforward as it gets compared to a 4stroke.  Just grab  your tools!

Suspension - you never know what you'll find inside with an older bike.  Hopefully there's still oil in there!