Author Topic: Tractor fluid for tranny  (Read 3001 times)

Offline JT5HUNDRED

Tractor fluid for tranny
« on: August 07, 2012, 11:10:48 AM »
So I've heard and read alot about using tractor fluid for transmission. Mostly heard it from the cr500 riders, well actually only from them. Anyone use it? Any good, or any issues? I'd like to start running it in my kx500

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
Re: Tractor fluid for tranny
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 01:26:55 PM »
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline JT5HUNDRED

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 01:32:21 AM »
Thanks for the links. Not having any issues, jus want to change things up, it's also much cheaper. I heard some real good things about it actually. I'm familiar with big equipment n also know that tractor oil is bout the best oil out there. It's designed to be run for very long periods of time on expensive equipment. From what I hear the guys running it say its clean and when it's time to change out still looks new and can take some real abuse. I picked some up, gonna give it a shot. The only worry I have is getting some that's compatible with a wet clutch but I think this stuff is, I'll report the results...

Offline Dutch-K5 Fan

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 08:10:39 AM »
I run total protec 10w40 in my k5.
It's used in farm tractor in the rearaxel where the transmission, wet brakes and hydrolick is.
Befor whe had OK/Tamoil and my uncle used it for 25+ years bikes
Because of the wet brakes or works with the clutch.

Dutchie
Proud owner of a KX500AF

Offline JT5HUNDRED

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 04:36:04 AM »
So I went with the Oreilly premium tractor fluid with great results so far. A few long hard trail days n seemed to hold up great n looked good when I replaced it. Idk if its the best but seems a hell of alot better than the expensive stuff you pick up at a shop.. $12 for a gallon, oughta last a lil while